How do I influence, change and stabilize RO water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Era101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I made the decision to change to RO water because it can be used to create the perfect water levels for any fish you'd like.

The problem is, it seems that to do so you have to know quite a bit about water chemistry. Hoping that the experts at TFF can help me out by telling me what kind of media to use to increas or decrease the GH, KH and PH. Hopefully I can then recreate the perfect, or as close as possible, water conditions for the fish I currently have.

Added a picture below of the lab test that my RO water guy showed me.

Attachments

• IMG-20200821-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200821-WA0009.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 113
I have one tank that needs GH adjusting. But generally, it is much better to choose fish that fit your water, rather than alter the water to suit the fish. What fish do you have? If you have soft-water species, you're probably good to go.

My local water is extremely soft, less than 3 degrees GH. In my 150g rainbow tank, I have to use epsom salt to increase my GH, and some crushed oyster shell is verrrryyyy slllooooooowly raising the KH. But I really wish I had just chosen soft-water fish. Simple is good!

What are those fish?
At the moment mostly for my dwarf gouramies and oto's the other fish are quite hardy. Later on I would like to get my water in optimal condition for a pair of german blue rams.

Although it would, of course, be much better if I can learn as much as possible. In that way I can change the water to the need of any fish I might get in the future.

I have one tank that needs GH adjusting. But generally, it is much better to choose fish that fit your water, rather than alter the water to suit the fish. What fish do you have? If you have soft-water species, you're probably good to go.

My local water is extremely soft, less than 3 degrees GH. In my 150g rainbow tank, I have to use epsom salt to increase my GH, and some crushed oyster shell is verrrryyyy slllooooooowly raising the KH. But I really wish I had just chosen soft-water fish. Simple is good!
Well my local tap water is so hard that only mollies and the like would do well. The RO, if unaltered, would allow for a broader range. There is just one thing I am worried about then, there is no buffer so I would be exposed to major PH changes.

Beyond that, I would love to work towards being able to maintain a more "expert" level tank later on. An aquarium that fits the water I have available is easy but quite limiting. So many fish to bewonder, and I plan to be in awe of most them.

Your otos and gouramis will be fine in RO water. Use an inert substrate (sand or gravel) that will not affect the water. the same will apply to GBRs. You do not need to add anything to the water. You do need to do regular large water changes. With nothing to buffer the pH this is neccessary to avoid your pH going too low. Low pH is not a problem in itself - but if you ever need to do a large emergency change the water in your tank will be different to your RO.

FWIW GBRs are not suitable for the same tank because they need warmer water than otos or gouramis can cope with

Your otos and gouramis will be fine in RO water. Use an inert substrate (sand or gravel) that will not affect the water. the same will apply to GBRs. You do not need to add anything to the water. You do need to do regular large water changes. With nothing to buffer the pH this is neccessary to avoid your pH going too low. Low pH is not a problem in itself - but if you ever need to do a large emergency change the water in your tank will be different to your RO.

FWIW GBRs are not suitable for the same tank because they need warmer water than otos or gouramis can cope with
Are you sure about that? The otto will be moved to a bigger tank by the time I can get the GBR. But when looking for tank mates for the GBR the dwarfs were on the list. I did some research and I think they did have an overlap in temp preferances. If I recall correctly the gouramies and and oto were both in the 22 to 27 C range and the GBR has a range between 25 to 29 C. Figured if I stayed in the 25 to 27 C range then all would be well.

I'm using a fert and soil bottom for the plants, but yeah, I'd like to set up a buffer so I would be as emergency proof as possible.

Fish do better in the middle of their range, and 27 is right at the top end for gouramis and otos; they would do better around 24 to 25 deg C. But this is too low for rams which need the upper 20s.

Otos struggle above 25C, I actually lost 2 during the recent heatwave in the UK. 27C is the max for DGs and the min for GBRs. You should ideally aim for the middle of the range, which is ideal. But yes you could keep GBRs and DGs in the same water - but not otos. This is based only on temps, I don't keep either so don't know if they are otherwise compatable.

3 of my soft water tanks have RO only and I have never had a problem. I do weekly water changes of over 50% in all of these. Is there a reason why you feel you need a buffer?

Fish do better in the middle of their range, and 27 is right at the top end for gouramis and otos; they would do better around 24 to 25 deg C. But this is too low for rams which need the upper 20s.
Are any other fish I could substitute the dwarfs for? I kinda of love the idea of the GBR and dwarfs together but I don't want to put strain on either. The ideas was for them to be eye catchers, the rest would be bottom dwellers like cories and snails.

Is your water GH =9.37 (Kesadahan total)?
If yes, then your water is not very hard.
In fact your water is only slightly hard.
I guess there are many fish that you can keep.
You can check the Seriously Fish website to check the fish requirements.(GH and pH).

I guess GBR and Gourami are ok with your tap water.
The only problem you will have with Oto will be the temperature as Seangee mentioned.

Also, are you using a chiller?
During the hottest month of the year, I think your city temperature will be easily 33-34degC.
You may have problems with Oto though I haven't kept Oto for a long time and I can't comment on this.
I am not sure whether Oto can withstand the heat.
Only Seangee has better experience with Oto.

Here are some useful information for you.

Otos struggle above 25C, I actually lost 2 during the recent heatwave in the UK. 27C is the max for DGs and the min for GBRs. You should ideally aim for the middle of the range, which is ideal. But yes you could keep GBRs and DGs in the same water - but not otos. This is based only on temps, I don't keep either so don't know if they are otherwise compatable.

3 of my soft water tanks have RO only and I have never had a problem. I do weekly water changes of over 50% in all of these. Is there a reason why you feel you need a buffer?
They actually died from the temp being too high or the sudden change in temp? I have a friend of mine that's been keeping gouramies and oto's for years in a tank that is at 31 to 32 degrees. They are still alive but I should tell him that there is definitely a risk to it then!

I want the buffer mostly for self-assurance really, seeing as I had a rough start with both the water and my cycle. Besides that, I really do just want to learn as much as possible.

They actually died from the temp being too high or the sudden change in temp? I have a friend of mine that's been keeping gouramies and oto's for years in a tank that is at 31 to 32 degrees. They are still alive but I should tell him that there is definitely a risk to it then!

I want the buffer mostly for self-assurance really, seeing as I had a rough start with both the water and my cycle. Besides that, I really do just want to learn as much as possible.
What do you mean by buffer? What kind of buffer?
I use RO water and in any tank PH is going to fluctuate depending on dissolved solids which is normal and not harmful to fish or plants unless its a huge drop or raise. The most efficient way to maintain GH which regulates PH and avoid those large PH swings is by performing weekly large water changes.
Water changes are the buffer in my opinion

Is your water GH =9.37 (Kesadahan total)?
If yes, then your water is not very hard.
In fact your water is only slightly hard.
I guess there are many fish that you can keep.
You can check the Seriously Fish website to check the fish requirements.(GH and pH).

I guess GBR and Gourami are ok with your tap water.
The only problem you will have with Oto will be the temperature as Seangee mentioned.

Also, are you using a chiller?
During the hottest month of the year, I think your city temperature will be easily 33-34degC.
You may have problems with Oto though I haven't kept Oto for a long time and I can't comment on this.
I am not sure whether Oto can withstand the heat.
Only Seangee has better experience with Oto.

Here are some useful information for you.

My tap water is so hard that I just gave on the tests after reaching over 50 dgh.

34 degrees is a regular tuesday here, we have that AC life... No I am using fans at the moment, a 3 fan setup on my 20G and a 2 fan setup on my 10 G. They work like a charm, dropped the temp back down to 25-26!

Thanks for the info! That's a lot of reading material for me to catch up on. I did read the articles on water and some on RO but they left me a bit confused.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back