How do I get my betta hammock to stay?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The suction cup attached to it no longer suctions onto the glass no matter how much I tried to clean it. I need a way for it to stick that's aquarium safe.

You can sometimes get them to work again by boiling the suction cup for a minute, but not always.

Some pet shops sell replacement suction cups.

You can lower the water level and dry the glass, then silicon the suction cup in place. Let it dry for a week and away you go.

or you could be innovative like I was when I had a Betta
I took a long stemmed clear wine glass and inverted it in the 5 gallon tank. Then I glued a small annubias plant to the bottom of the glass. It's was my Betta's favorite place to rest.

The bane of my aquarium existence. Suction cups. Suction cups on heaters , suction cups on floating thermometers , replacement suction cups. They all work for a short time and then never again. @Colin_T says boiling helps. I've tried that and it kinda works but not for long. Right after you boil them shape them while they are hot and malleable into nice round cones. Marineland used to make suction cups with a little tab on them so they could be "burped" . Those worked better than any others but aren't around anymore. Not that I've seen anyway. Wherever you attach the suction cup clean the glass really good . No algae or slime. The only answer is to make a hanger out of something that you can hook on the frame of your tank. Good luck.

Maybe encase a magnet in something to where it won't leach metal toxins, then super glue the magnet to the hammock. Then place magnets on the exterior of the aquarium. It may look a bit ugly on the exterior but hey, no more fussing with suction cups 😅

Hey ! Like those magnetic algae scrapers . Now we're onto something. Hold the phone I gotta call Penn-Plax.
Lol
I have a magnetized thermometer in the tank. Really nice

Maybe encase a magnet in something to where it won't leach metal toxins, then super glue the magnet to the hammock. Then place magnets on the exterior of the aquarium. It may look a bit ugly on the exterior but hey, no more fussing with suction cups 😅
You need to contact the patent office asap and patent that idea. Get a world wide patent too so the Chinese can't steal it. They probably will anyway but if you have a patent you have some rights to compensation from them when they steal it.

Patent these:
  • Magnetic betta hammock
  • Rocky's Magnetic Betta hammock
  • The Magnetic Betta hammock
  • The Betta Magnetic hammock
and all variations on those.

You have a pair of small round flat magnets with plastic cases and soft felt/ material on the open side so it doesn't scratch the glass, (like the algae magnets have).
One magnet has a fitting to hold the betta hammock and the other magnet sits outside the tank.
The fitting could be adjustable so you can hold one leaf, different sized leaves or even several leaves.

Small, simple, and brilliant idea. Well done. Now go patent it.

You need to contact the patent office asap and patent that idea. Get a world wide patent too so the Chinese can't steal it. They probably will anyway but if you have a patent you have some rights to compensation from them when they steal it.

Patent these:
  • Magnetic betta hammock
  • Rocky's Magnetic Betta hammock
  • The Magnetic Betta hammock
  • The Betta Magnetic hammock
and all variations on those.

You have a pair of small round flat magnets with plastic cases and soft felt/ material on the open side so it doesn't scratch the glass, (like the algae magnets have).
One magnet has a fitting to hold the betta hammock and the other magnet sits outside the tank.
The fitting could be adjustable so you can hold one leaf, different sized leaves or even several leaves.

Small, simple, and brilliant idea. Well done. Now go patent it.
Sounds awesome! Honestly I didn't think it was a new idea, just common sense lol...
But I don't know if I can make it or patent it as of now.
Its awesome that I could but I just don't know if I have the resources, funds, or knowledge to get into something like that.
Now someone on here will steal it and never mention me 🙄😂

At least contact the patent office and see if anyone has put in a similar idea and find out how much it will cost to get a patent for it.

If you patent it now, you don't have to do anything with the idea until you get around to it. The patent simply says you own the design and it is your idea, and nobody else can make it. Then if someone starts selling them, you can say "Hang on a sec, that's my idea and here's the patent for it". Then they have to pay you :)

I haven't heard of anything like it and reckon it's a great idea. If I had a choice of buying one with a suction cup that is going to fail in 6 months, or a magnet that will last for years, it's magnets all the way.

At least contact the patent office and see if anyone has put in a similar idea and find out how much it will cost to get a patent for it.

If you patent it now, you don't have to do anything with the idea until you get around to it. The patent simply says you own the design and it is your idea, and nobody else can make it. Then if someone starts selling them, you can say "Hang on a sec, that's my idea and here's the patent for it". Then they have to pay you :)

I haven't heard of anything like it and reckon it's a great idea. If I had a choice of buying one with a suction cup that is going to fail in 6 months, or a magnet that will last for years, it's magnets all the way.
Hm, maybe I will... I need to do some research on how to go about it and to see if there are any products like it.
I would also want to try to make magnet holders for heaters then to if possible. But that would take extra phone calls most likely to team up with fluval, tetra, and other large brand of heaters...
This is a thing where I would use my own product 100% 😅.
So far my fluval heater is holding up very well but I know at some point that those suction cups will "fade out"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back