How big of Shells for N. Multifasciatus

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
How big do their shells need to be? I need to measure the ones I got in the shop, but what would you recommend on shell size for one of the smallest of the African shell dwellers? I picked up some Neolamprologus multifasciatus, and will be putting them in a 30 inch long 30 gallon tank.

Ah cool nice project in a 30 you could get some of the other species? Like ocellatus or multipunktatus?

In terms of shells most people say escargot shells which you can get a bag of 40 of from amazon for about £15?

Do they do alright with the other species while breeding? There were two other species of shell dwellers in the tank with them, but I don't remember the name. I went with the multis because I had done some research on breeding them in the past. I never saw much on what would make good tank mates for them.

I wouldn’t mix shell dwellers but they are all similar in their needs. You may be able to have something like a julidochromis or compreciceps pair in there too. If it was me I think I’d go for a group of the multipunks they are a white bodied fish with orange fins and blue eyes really stunning.

I think I have a definite pairing, as well as a single female who prefers to hang out by the driftwood. I caught a pic of the pair.

Attachments

• 20210605_141009.jpg
    20210605_141009.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 70
I think I have a definite pairing, as well as a single female who prefers to hang out by the driftwood. I caught a pic of the pair.
Ah cool wow I didnt realise you already had them.

You'll find they dont always pair off with the same fish but you might be getting babies soon. The cool thing about these is that the older generations of fry will help raise the younger ones so you get a proper colony going on pretty quickly.

Wills

Ah cool wow I didnt realise you already had them.

You'll find they dont always pair off with the same fish but you might be getting babies soon. The cool thing about these is that the older generations of fry will help raise the younger ones so you get a proper colony going on pretty quickly.

Wills
The lfs gave me 3 shells, and I had some old mystery snail shells around as well, so I have 6 shells right now. I want to make sure the ones I have are of a proper size, and get more for when I do have breeding and eventually babies. The ones from the store are 2" on the biggest and 1.75" on the smallest. Mine are 1" to 1.5" (which is too small, I think).

Most reactions

trending

Back