Holy Crud, There's A Crack!

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
3,612
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Carolina
I was just looking at our 125gallon tank and noticed a pretty big crack on the bottom right corner of the tank. It's on the front glass, and still behind the sealant.
We noticed a small something there after about a week after we got the tank, but didn't even think it was a crack. And now... it's this!

From the front
crack1.jpg


From the side
crack2.jpg


It has obviously gotten A LOT worse than when we first noticed it.

What the heck should we do? The obvious answer is probably going to be get a new tank, get all the fish out, etc etc... Just.... UGH! I'm so freaking out right now and PO'd. We've only had this tank for what.. 2-3 months!
 
IS the tank brand new or second hand, most brand new tanks have gaurentees (sorry bad spelling, long day)

a do agree though that i would move all the fish and drain the water incase it goes
 
The tank was bought brand new. We bought it from Petsmart, so I doubt they would give us any kind of refund on it.
My husband isn't home atm... but might have to convince him to go to the store later to get a big plastic storage bin we can put the fish in to.
 
Craaaaaap
Looking through the photos I've taken of the tank.. trying to find photos of that spot. Looks like the cracking may have just begun. Not good... might mean it'll only be getting worse very quickly. Dernit!!
 
Don't panic, if you're that worried, find anything to fit the fishes in, it will do for the time being.
 
surely the shop will provide a replacement tank as it is under warranty..Just a matter of where to put the fish while you take the tank back to be replaced.Best of luck, i'd get them out of there ASAP though to prevent you're carpet being ruined and stock dying when the inevitable happens
 
Thats just happened to us. Well, it wasn't cracked - but leaking. Just needed sealed really but I panicked and went and bought a new one. You should have a guarantee though, most have a two year warranty.
 
Just found the receipt for the tank..... There is a 60 day return policy.... we're on day 58! Doesn't say anything about replacing it though.
Good grief... I am going to have a heart attack!
 
First off, the tank wont just EXPLODE. so relax a bit. The silicone is very strong. I would try and set up a temp tank if you can, and then call petsmart in the morning and tell them. You can always siphon some water out to take some pressure off the glass a bit too. Does the crack go all the way through?
 
Doesn't look like the crack goes completely through. I can feel it in the front, but it doesn't appear to have reached in to the tank yet.
 
to be honest, your tank would probably be just fine if you put a little silicone on the crack, but it is a new tank and shouldnt have any cracks, so I would still for sure exchange it. Its such a pain to change out a tank that size.
 
Yeah, not looking forward to emptying this tank out at all.
I hate that I'm going to have to stress the fish out trying to get them out, and then putting them whereever.
Uuuuuuugh...
I don't think silicone is going to be enough to keep this from getting worse. I mean if it's already gotten worse from that little spot we had first seen, then it's probably just going to continue to get bad.

Right now, just waiting for DH to get home to see what he wants to do.
 
Just found the receipt for the tank..... There is a 60 day return policy.... we're on day 58! Doesn't say anything about replacing it though.
Good grief... I am going to have a heart attack!
Ours was from Petsmart too. They replaced everything, tank and stand, no hassle.

~~waterdrop~~
 
Just afraid we're going to have to wait to get a replacement. From what I remember, they had a 120gallon (taller and shorter)... and 2 150gallon tanks that were big cubes.
And the Petsmart by us.. their largest tank is the same 120gal design that's up front where the registers are that has cracks all through it.

Sigh...... dunno what we're going to do.... DH isn't helping at all :\
 
you will get it worked out. Stop worrying about it tonight, nothing you can do til tomorrow. Call them when they open. There are petsmarts everywhere, they may have one delivered to the store near you if you tell them its an emergency.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top