Holy Crud, There's A Crack!

I would agree with TheBigEasy, I would take 30% of water out for sure so the pressure isn't so strong within the glass. If you have a LFS instead of PetSmart, they might house your fish untill you can get your new tank.
 
I wouldn't trust our LFS to house our fish. Their quality has gone totally to hell and their freshwater fish don't look good at all. I'd rather stick our fish in to one of our tubs before anything else... which may actually come to that if we don't get storage bins to put them in to.

I've calmed down a bit, just worried and dreading having to clean the tank out and stressing the fish..... uuuuuuugh Why couldn't it have been one of the smaller tanks.......


I guess on a positive note... I get to completely rescape the tank when we get a replacement :P lol Try to do something a bit better rofl
 
After all you've done to set this tank up, sorry Amunet, With that amount of water Im not suprised your concerned.

Drain half of it, put some of the water into a holding tank or even large bucket enough for the fish, net them and trf to the tank/bucket as peacefully as possible, then run the filter in the bucket to keep it cycled, add heater, plants etc, then keep covered and in the dark to help with fish stress levels.

Then of course get the rest of the water out, ornaments, gravel etc and take it back to the store, they must replace it, I dont know what your laws are like, but over here that would be replaced quick smart. If they give you any trouble, kick up a stink in a crowded store, contact their head office etc until you get the replacement.

If it takes a few days, dont worry the fish will be fine, with the filter running, just do not feed them and keep them in the dark.

Fingers crossed for ya, hope you get it sorted asap.
 
go to the garden shop and buy one of those big plastic tubs or even just a really big bucket. that should hold the fish and the heater and filter for now.
put some duct tape over te crack to help it keep water in. also, save as much of the water as possible from the tank!!! that way you won't have to cycle the new tank.

i've just realised i'm repeating what minxfishy said.

hope you get everything sorted out!
 
Nope.... haven't done anything yet. Will tonight though when DH gets home from his class.
Crack hasn't gotten worse..... sigh.. I just hope they will exchange it....
 
Just wanted to give an update on what's going on.

Hubby called the Petsmart when he got home.
They said they would exchange it, BUT they don't have any in.
DH asked them if we could take it to the petsmart near us, they said yes, but to take some photos and show them to see what they thought (why I don't know).
So we took photos, went over there, was told that that Petsmart can't order in any 125gal tanks and pretty much they can't take our tank. So we're going to have to take it back to the one we bought it from.

DH called back the other Petsmart, but was put on hold for 10mins before he hung up. (when he called before, he was on hold for 30mins... sigh.. idiots).
SO yeah..... *shrugs*

I've taken some of the water out of the tank.... crack hasn't gotten worse. We also bought a big 45gal storage bin to put the fish in. No idea where it's going to go though since it needs to be elevated so the filter will work in it.
Also got 2 smaller clear storage containers. 1 for the plants & wood and some substrate, and the other for the sand and whatever else will fit.
NO freakin idea how I'm going to even get the sand out.
 
I would go to the store, dont ring, insist on speaking to a manager, stand next to him whilst he orders a new tank and get a definate delivery date.

If the crack isnt getting any bigger, you could risk leaving the fish in there, drop the water level by half, then only remove them when you have too, its your choice, personally I would do it now, but then I wouldnt sleep with the worrying of it cracking completely.

If you need to raise the bin to keep the filter running, place some rocks under one side of it maybe.

To scoop out the sand, use a fish net :good:
 
If you have a big bucket - you can remove sand by simply creating a syphon in a hose (like when removing water) but instead of taking just water out of the tank put the hose just above the sand and it will be sucked up.

This way you remove half the water and most of the sand at the same time. (water can be poured off the bucket as it fills up)

If you cannot get petsmart to cough up for a replacement, contact the manufacturer. They will then be able to kick the retailers butt at the same time as ensuring that the fault is looked into so they know they're not making duff tanks.

Worst comes to worst, remove that pannel of glass - get a new one from your local glasiers (maybe £20 - should be less for a sheet of glass cut and beveled to fit) and fit it yourself with new sealent. No point wasting a perfectly good setup.
 
The manufacturer is Petsmart :P
It's their TopFin brand.
They were helpful when DH could finally talk to someone (when they remembered someone was on the dang phone waiting).....
I'm going to try to convince DH to call up another store that's a little further away. See if they have any in and if they would exchange it.
I could call, but I don't like dealing with people..... so I just bug my hubby to heh
 
*shrugs* I dunno....
I think the manager he was talking to gave him their name. He was trying to call her last night when we got back home, but nada. Hoping he can get in touch with her today to see about the whole 60day thing.
If we end up not being able to exchange it...... sigh......there goes $400 for another tank.
 
*shrugs* I dunno....
I think the manager he was talking to gave him their name. He was trying to call her last night when we got back home, but nada. Hoping he can get in touch with her today to see about the whole 60day thing.
If we end up not being able to exchange it...... sigh......there goes $400 for another tank.
Dont settle for not exchanging it. They WILL exchange it, even if they dont want to, they always will. You need to show up in person though, and be very insistent on them replacing it ASAP since your fish are under a lot of stress. It might also help to threaten to cal Corporate. Store managers want to avoid that. But do not settle without getting it replaced. And in the future, you might want to give craigslist a try when looking at large tanks. I just picked up a 130gal for $50 :)
 
Yeah I look at craigslist every once in a while. Some... OK deals, but nothing as good as that.
 
Yeah I look at craigslist every once in a while. Some... OK deals, but nothing as good as that.
the 130gal for $50 was a rare one. He wanted $200 but i didnt have it, so i offered him $50, he emailed me a month later and asked if i still wanted it. lol, living in the Detroit area, things are rough and people just cant afford to spend a lot, which means there are some great deals here. I guess it depends on your area.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top