Holiday care

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I go away next month for 2 weeks and wonderered if the following plan would be ok.

A family member will be house sitting so she can keep an eye on my tanks and feed the fish but wont be able to do the water changes.

I plan to feed them a little extra food the week before i go then do a 75% water change and clean the filters/gravel etc the night before we leave. Then get them fed 2 times per week while im away.

Dont wont them fed every day with me not being here for water changes.
Does this sound ok?

If you feed pellets and have them count out the pellets that should be fine. Still tell them to feed less than you think because its easy for non fishkeepers to give a bit extra for luck. Personally I don't feed if I am away for 2-3 weeks.

Or use one of those pill dispensers with a compartment for each day and put as much food as you want to feed in each compartment. Then all the other person has to do is empty one compartment whenever they feed the fish. You don't need to put something in every compartment so they know that if today's compartment has food in, they feed the fish today. If there's nothing in today's compartment, the fish should not be fed.

You'd need 2 for 2 weeks to make it absolutely foolproof :)

I’m getting ready to leave myself and just filled all of my pill boxes for the pet sitter.

Hiring a pet sitter is always a better idea, than getting a non-experienced family member, to care for your fish. :)

If you feed pellets and have them count out the pellets that should be fine. Still tell them to feed less than you think because its easy for non fishkeepers to give a bit extra for luck. Personally I don't feed if I am away for 2-3 weeks.
2-3 weeks without feeding at all? Didnt think you could leave fish that long without food

I feed a variety of flake and pellets, but i have some pellets which come with a little measuring spoon. So i thought id just say just feed 'x' amount of spoons on the days i say to feed them.

Or use one of those pill dispensers with a compartment for each day and put as much food as you want to feed in each compartment. Then all the other person has to do is empty one compartment whenever they feed the fish. You don't need to put something in every compartment so they know that if today's compartment has food in, they feed the fish today. If there's nothing in today's compartment, the fish should not be fed.

You'd need 2 for 2 weeks to make it absolutely foolproof :)
Thats a good idea :) i could still leave a bit of variety then

Thanks

Makes good sense. :)
Im looking forward to a nice break but dont like not being here to sort the fish lol. They will be checked every day tho and i can ring a couple of more experienced fish keepers if any problems a rise :)

2-3 weeks without feeding at all? Didnt think you could leave fish that long without food
Unlike mammals fish don't require energy to keep warm. There are some exceptions, typically pure carnivores, but most tropical fish will be just fine for a few weeks without feeding. They will also graze on algae / biofilm. I tend to go away for 2 or 3 weeks several times a year. I never feed them and have never lost a fish.

Conversely I have known several people (and seen many posts on here) who have lost fish because of an electronic feeder, holiday blocks or well meaning friends / relatives. It is far better for the health of the fish to have no food than too much.

Unlike mammals fish don't require energy to keep warm. There are some exceptions, typically pure carnivores, but most tropical fish will be just fine for a few weeks without feeding. They will also graze on algae / biofilm. I tend to go away for 2 or 3 weeks several times a year. I never feed them and have never lost a fish.

Conversely I have known several people (and seen many posts on here) who have lost fish because of an electronic feeder, holiday blocks or well meaning friends / relatives. It is far better for the health of the fish to have no food than too much.
Wow! thats really good to know. I was worried only feeding them once or twice a week.
Thanks for the info :)

I wouldn't bother getting anyone to feed them unless you have baby fish.

I just feed them 3-5 times per day and do a 75% water change and gravel clean each day for a couple of weeks before I go. The fish can build up some fat reserves and the water changes keep everything clean. Then the fish will be fine for 2 weeks without food, especially if they have some live plants in the tank.

However, if you have someone coming in a couple of times a week, measure out portions of food and label them with the dates they are to be used. Tell them this container of food on this day, that one that day and no more. Hide the rest of the fish food so they don't give them anything else to eat.

Hiring a pet sitter is always a better idea, than getting a non-experienced family member, to care for your fish. :)
. My family sadly knows nothing about fish and no interest in learning. With all of my tanks, it’s better to pay someone if going for more than a day or two.

Most reactions

Back