Hillstream loach

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PuffieBumble

Reaction score
I saw a spotted Hillstream loach in a fish shop i was gonna get it but it had a red/pink on it's tummy.

Its cut cuz it looks like a combination of a pleco and a stingray right.

:X Do they eat the alge off the tank like a pleco, or do they act more like a loach?

I never had a loach before but i have kept plecos.

The commonest of the flatter "HillStream Loaches" is probably Pseudogastromyzon myersi, although Gastromyzon punctulatus is more spotted which the common name suggests. Both inhabit very fast flowing water in the wild. They are a loaches though, not a plecs. Whilst they will munch on a bit of algae from time to time, they are not renowned algae clearing fish and should be offered a variety of foods.

Have a browse through the fish here and see if you can find your fish.

Hillstream loaches can live in temps. as low as 20 degress celsius and as high as 27 degress celsius.

Which of your two 30g were you thinking of putting them in?

82F is roughly 28C which is high. Unless you really need it that high, (for Discus or something), 75F would be a better value. As temperature increases, the amount of disolved Oxygen it can hold goes down, at the same time the metabolic rate of the fish rises, so it is not a good thing to over heat.

The Hillstream loaches are kept by some in unheated tanks in reasonably warmed houses.

They don't really dig up plants, no.

I should change my temp for both tanks?? I have real plants in both of them
Not sure which tank would be best for him.
Do i have too many fish in both tanks??

Sorry about the questions :*)

I would lower the temps and put him in the second tank in your sig.

Good Luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back