High Nitrate

noshybabs

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds
Is High night Nitrate gonna be bad? and if so how can i reduce it?
 
Depends on how high it is. You'll hear varying opinions on how much is too much. It also depends on how sensitive the fish you have are, fry may be more sensitive as well. Some will say 60ppm is high, others say up to 100ppm is fine. Regular water changes should keep Nitrates to a safe level.
 
its at a 120, ive recently planted 4 new plants which im hoping will help things a little. No one looks sick so it doesnt seem to be a problem
 
What fish do you have? How big is your tank?

How often do you do water changes and how much water each time?
 
Hi

I have got the same problem with high nitrates. Then I tested my tap water and that was 40 mg/l.

Sabby
 
I think most books will recommend that below 40ppm is what is best. I never allow my tank to go over this. I would say that 120 is high and would recommend a water change to reduce it. although nitrate isn't harmful like nitrite it does mean the water quality is not good so fish could be more likely to catch an illness.
 
I have a 100l Tank with

2 clowns
1 angel
1 glass catfish
1 red tailed shark
1 gourmai
2 ghost tetra
 

Most reactions

Back
Top