Hi Salties

I buy tropic marin pro reef salt as it has all the good stuff thrown in with it (minerals etc) which can only be good for the tank at the end of the day. Bloody expensive tho!

Thanks for replies about salt . Checked ebay again this morning and found a deltec that needs the internal pump replaced . How easy is this to fix ? have tried to source parts but can't seem to find spare parts at all :unsure:

Thanks
Kizz

Have you seen this.......

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/353978-deltec-mce-600-skimmer/page__pid__2949335__st__0&#entry2949335

I dont know this seller, so ask a few questions :good:

Seffie x

oo cheers for heads up was in looking this morning but musta missed that . It's new routine in morning once everything been done search every possible palce i know to check for people breakin down tank's

Also little question if anyone can answer . What kind of rock do i need to make live rock ? I've seen ocean rock tufa rock dead rock and am unsure on which route to take . I'm asking as if i can get all equipment before i go on holiday i was going to set up to so the LR could cycle as such while i'm away on holiday as there is really no maintenance for when my friend is house sitting

Any advice ;)

Thanks
Kizz
:D

oo cheers for heads up was in looking this morning but musta missed that . It's new routine in morning once everything been done search every possible palce i know to check for people breakin down tank's

Also little question if anyone can answer . What kind of rock do i need to make live rock ? I've seen ocean rock tufa rock dead rock and am unsure on which route to take . I'm asking as if i can get all equipment before i go on holiday i was going to set up to so the LR could cycle as such while i'm away on holiday as there is really no maintenance for when my friend is house sitting

Any advice ;)

Thanks
Kizz

If your buying non living, pre seeded/cured rock ( eg majority of rock u see on eBay or on shelves in lfs), make sure the rock is porous. If the rock is dead it will take months to seed and then cure (you will need cured LR to start the seed process)
If the rock was once live and recently, then the water will have to be tested and changed daily to keep ammonia down due to die off (dead/dying organisms)

Your better off buying cured live rock with very little or no die off from transportation. This will significantly reduce cycling time as the rock would be pretty much cured.
Lfs buy live rock that was once cured but has been out of water for days during transportation which kills most the life on it which is why they re cure it after a few weeks and then charge the earth to sell it to u. (£10per kg if not more).

You could ask your lfs if they would sell you the rock as it's shipped in but you would have cure it yourself. It would be probably half the price per kg but I doubt lfs would do this as they won't make as much money out of it per kg.

If you're wanting to make new live rock from dry rock (which will require seedin, of course), the safest rout for mineral reasons will always be dead rock that was once live rock. Other rock that has been carved out of the ground far away from the sea can make excellent live rock, but it also warrants some caution. With carbonates like limestone, although they're as close to reef rock as one can get mineral-wise, they can also contain deposits of other things like hematite and sulfides. "Tufa" is a bit of a grab bag term that doesn't seem to consistently refer to one type of rock. I have seen carbonates as well as tuffs (seems to be mostly rhyolitic tuff in my current area) called "tufa". "Lace rock" is a similar grab bag. If you plan on venturing into rocks of non-ocean origin, it's a great way to create new live rock without fear of having impacted a reef at any point, but make sure you soak the rocks for a couple weeks and check the pH regularly. It's also worth taking a hand lense to inspect the rocks before buying to help make sure you know what kind of rock you're getting (carbonate or otherwise) and that there are no undesirable deposits hiding around.

Morning all :D

now i know this isn't a deltec but Have spotted this on my morning rounds but unsure on if it's suitable for my tank cannot find it's spec on the net at all My link <,That's it there

Anyone offer a heads up ?

Thanks
Kizz

There are several views on this sytem, at the worst, its a useless system and the best, its ok. Im sure someone on here had one, but cant remember who it was :blush:

Stick the system name into google and you will get lots of views from people who own them.

Kizz, where do you live, we can then all keep our eyes peeled for live rock for you? That gumtree ad said Edinburgh?

Seffie x

Cool shall stick it into googlde once i'm munched my lunch lol and i'm in west lothian scotland so pretty much in the middle of edinburgh & Glasgow but easy commute to stirling fife etc

Thanks
Kizz

well had a wee check at the spec of it and it says turnover it 2600L/h but only suitable for tanks upto 240L . Did i read correctly that the turnover is only 6 x tank size . This would mean with this skimmer i'd be doing 5x turnover . Assuming that's not suitable ? To over skim is better than to underskim right ? :blink:

Thanks Again
Kizz

To over skim is better than to underskim right ? :blink:

Not really possible to overskim, but you do of course waste electricity :crazy: If there are no organics in the water it wont skim as there is nothing to skim :unsure:, but I do know what you mean, its better to have a skimmer that is rated for a larger tank :good: than one that is too small and ends up not being able to remove all the organics

If that makes sense :look:

Seffie x

Yup that made sense ! actually amazed it did as most of it seems like double dutch to me still :blush: Shall just stick with deltec shall know tomorrow if i'm able to buy the one that you linked me to yesterday . At least i'm covered wtih paypal would be mighty peeved if anything happened but least i'd get the money back .

After thinkin about the LR i'm going to nip down to my only local lfs that stock's marine stuff . Know the guy pretty well so hoping i can work my magic and persuade him to sell me some uncured LR along with some cured LR he'll still be making a profit of it just prob not as much .Don't ask ya don't get as the sayin goes ! Especially if i buy salt and anythign else non electrical from him . He is curretnly the closest marine shop until my local Dobbies open's less then 2 miles away :D

Thanks
Kizz

Why not consider buying all uncured rock - in for a penny in for a pound :p my sister ran a log when she bought uncured rock, its in her journel :good: Trod

Seffie x

ooo never spotted that journal of trod's before ! only ever read the one with the both of you's setting up the bouy's . That will be this evening's reading material ! :good: lol

Think i may just go down the uncured road. Cany you buy it uncured online ? shall try some of my lfs' . Have 3 /4 dobbies within an hours drive either way that would be worth a shot if my own lfs won't do it

Thanks
Kizz

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back