The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes said:
So household ammonia is chemically the same as fish waste?!  That's so bizzare!!!
Well, there will be other stuff in fish waste as well, but it's the ammonia that the bacteria need to eat, so that's the important bit for cycling. 

I can/should use this?!
Yes; household ammonia is the best thing for a fishless cycle. I'm in the UK, so I can't tell you where you might get it, but I'm sure some of our US members will know
smile.png

and if so....how much for this set up?
6-Gallon Fluval Edge
Filtration: 100 gph 3-stage mechanical, chemical and biological filtration.
Lighting: 21 LED lighting system (7600K high-luminosity LEDs with 18 White LEDS and 3 Blue LEDs).
Capacity: 6 gallons.
Dimensions: Total dimension measures 16.875" x 10.25" x 14.5" high. The Fluval Edge aquarium measures 16.875" x 10.25" x 8.75" high.

sorry for so many questions!!

Assuming the ammonia you get is a standard 9.5% solution, you will only need a tiny amount; around 0.7 ml (that's for the first dose, you'll be adding more once that gets turned into nitrite), so you're going to need something for measuring it; the little plastic 1ml syringes that most chemist's sell for dosing children's medicines are really handy for that :

I got mine at Tractor Supply. If you shake the bottle and it doesn't foam, it's good to use. :)

Oh man, so helpful!  Thanks a million!
I have a tractor supply very close to me! 
I will go get this after work!
Thanks again!!

You'll need test kits, for at least ammonia and nitrite as well.

Don't worry if you still find cycling confusing. Once you get the ammonia and the test kits, we can talk you through it, step by step
smile.png

Omg so sorry... One more question today:
Cycle biological aquarium conditioner...
This was in my fluval edge box...
Can I use this instead of ammonia?
Or is this something completely different.
I think I just figured out that it's like what I already added "prime"..,.?!
I'm trying to research before asking dumb questions but I'm confusing myself

Cycle biological aquarium conditioner is not ammonia.

Its most likely a water dechlorinator which you need to make tap water safe when adding water to tanks when doing water changes, basically its like seachem prime but just a different brand.

By the way, ther i sno such thing as too many question or silly questions, thats what this forum is for, to help those who seek advice. The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask....

Oh, if you're looking for what ammonia is, its simply a bottle of ammonia usually found with just Ammonium Hydroxide at strength from 9.5%.

There are various places where suitable ammonia can be found, easiest is usally online, like this for example -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concentrated-Aquarium-Ammonia-for-Fishless-Cycling-Fish-Tank-Use-High-Strength-/181130184497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2c334731

Though must be noted this is purely for cycling a fish tank, since its strength is at 35%, I have used this for cycling 5 or 6 tanks to date, never had any problems using this with the Fishless Cycle article from this forum, written by one of our very knowledgable members -

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok...so I've thoroughly read and reread the fishless cycling articles that were suggested.

Not being a chemist, or very good in school....or having been out of school for many years... I had a difficult time following all of the very detailed explanations.  
I actually had my guy read this with me to help me better understand as I tend to "wander" when reading.  My mind thinks of other things...like the potato chips in the kitchen that I'd rather be eating than reading this..

I do believe I have the best understanding that I can possibly have at this point.

I did go out and buy ammonia (from the tractor supply store, as suggested above).

I didn't get the test kit as I couldn't find a "master kit" ...I'll have to order on line.  
Nor could I find the heater I'm after.

And reading thru the article it says I must have both of those things before I add the ammonia.

So...I suppose I'll have to wait to start the cycling...?!  Correct?

And Ch4lie, thank you so much for making me less stupid about my million questions!!  

I really appreciate all the help from everyone!  

I know that feeling about reading that article, sounds so 'sciencey' and complicated doesn't it.

Believe me, I am no scientist at all whatsoever either. Then once I started doing the cycle, things began to make sense, bit by bit over time I managed to grasp what it's all about. I read and re-read that article a hundred times :lol:

Really, it's easier than you think. Have some faith :)

We'll help you along the way so you don't have to feel you got to do this alone.

No one around me has the heater I'm after (fluval edge) basically just want it for the sleek look.
and the api master test kit.
So I'm ordering on amazon.  Once I have I will add my amonia and start the cycling!

I'm excited but scared!

Was there no heater included in the box when you got the tank or did you get this second hand?

Otherwise just get any heater that fits for now, a nano 25w heater will do fine, better than nothing as cycling a tank goes better when temp is around 75 - 85 F / 24 - 29 C.

The bacteria needs this warm temp to grow faster, at cooler temps, the cycle can go very slowly.

Of course the water test kit and ammonia is pretty essential when doing cycling process.

Ch4rlie said:
Was there no heater included in the box when you got the tank or did you get this second hand?
The Fluval Edge doesn't come with a heater, AFAIK; mine certainly didn't. Which is ridiculous, because I can't think of a single temperate fish you could put in there!

Wow!
ohmy.png

Isn't that silly not to include a heater when selling a complete brand new tank set up. That truly boggles the mind
nugget.gif

I bought my Fluval Edge tank second hand, had the heater included, but the seller must have bought that separately, I actually assumed it came with the tank when he bought it at the time !

just an fyi if anyone is interested....
I found the heater for an amazing deal of $18.39 at valuepetsupplies.com 
free shipping for 19 bucks and over (they gave it to me because I was close enough).

Everywhere else its about 26.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back