Hi, Leaking Tank, Help! What Do I Do?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Hxoxoxoxoxo

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
HI,

So my tank has started leaking, well my mother noticed it a few days ago, but now it's really bad. It looks like it's from the bottom of the tank, but I don't really know as cant remove water and fish at the moment.

If it is the glass that has cracked, can I use fish safe silicone to repair it? I hope so, as I cannot afford to buy a new tank.

My tank is roughly 3ft by 1ft and 1.3ft high. It's a clear-seal and holds around 20 fish and about 100 - 110 litres of water.

Please help as I cannot afford to buy a new tank, but can repair this one. I have a small tank that I can put the fish in when draining and fixing the tank, but it's just a small 25 litre tank. what do i do?????

Please Help!

-Hxoxoxoxoxo

You'll have to drain the tank anyway if you want to try and fix the leak however because you've left it too long the crack will have grown and has no doubt past the repair job. It will be a dead tank am sad to say and you'll need to rehouse or sell the fish till you can get a new tank and start over, keep the fish happy until you fix your funds!

Check your local classifieds, you may be able to pick up a tank of similar dimensions quite cheaply (I see an ad locally for a 4' by 16" by 2' for $45 which is close to what I want).

In the meantime you may be able to get a big plastic container from a hardware store fairly cheaply and connect up your filter to it (depends if you have a canister, internal or HOB filter) to keep everything from your tank in until you can get a repair or new tank.

If your leak is indeed from the bottom you're better off replacing it, they don't repair very well on the bottom. And to replace the bottom glass will most likely mean disassembling the tank totally and reassembling it, which is probably fairly costly. And I can't think of a way to put a new section of glass into the tank over the top of the old one and seal it in,, since you most likely have lid channels and braces across the top.

Gruntle said:
Check your local classifieds, you may be able to pick up a tank of similar dimensions quite cheaply (I see an ad locally for a 4' by 16" by 2' for $45 which is close to what I want).

In the meantime you may be able to get a big plastic container from a hardware store fairly cheaply and connect up your filter to it (depends if you have a canister, internal or HOB filter) to keep everything from your tank in until you can get a repair or new tank.

If your leak is indeed from the bottom you're better off replacing it, they don't repair very well on the bottom. And to replace the bottom glass will most likely mean disassembling the tank totally and reassembling it, which is probably fairly costly. And I can't think of a way to put a new section of glass into the tank over the top of the old one and seal it in,, since you most likely have lid channels and braces across the top.
whilst it is not expensive to re seal an entire tank. (safe sealent can be bought for £5 for 310mm) it is time consuming.
the hardest part is breaking the tank down and cleaning off ALL the old Silicone.
there are plenty of "how to" vids around to give the OP an idea of how to go.

@op, you could try Kings British "Just Fix It"
this will do the job with the fish in situ.

However I still recommend a new tank, over the long run.

techen said:
You'll have to drain the tank anyway if you want to try and fix the leak however because you've left it too long the crack will have grown and has no doubt past the repair job. It will be a dead tank am sad to say and you'll need to rehouse or sell the fish till you can get a new tank and start over, keep the fish happy until you fix your funds!

Gruntle said:

raptorrex said:

whilst it is not expensive to re seal an entire tank. (safe sealent can be bought for £5 for 310mm) it is time consuming.
the hardest part is breaking the tank down and cleaning off ALL the old Silicone.
there are plenty of "how to" vids around to give the OP an idea of how to go.

@op, you could try Kings British "Just Fix It"
this will do the job with the fish in situ.

However I still recommend a new tank, over the long run.

HI thanks guys for all your responses! all so fast too!

I am about to empty the tank, I'm hoping that it's not a leak, as Ive just seen the back of the tank and there's a constant flow of water dripping down from the lid.

I'll keep you all posted, here's to some hard work!

Thanks again guys!!

Hxoxoxoxoxo

hi again guys, so after emptying the tank there was no crack, or leak in the sealants. I suppose it was just the condensation causing the water to drip down the side of the lid and down the back of the tank. I'm glad it isn't leaking as I would have been rather upset if it was.

Thanks for all your replies, and all the advice given!

- Hxoxoxoxoxo

A sigh of relief for you.  Nothing worse than frantically trying to save fish in a crisis, then keep them alive until you get a problem sorted.

Gruntle said:
A sigh of relief for you.  Nothing worse than frantically trying to save fish in a crisis, then keep them alive until you get a problem sorted.

You can say that again. I'm glad the fish are staying with me now! I've only been in the hobby for a few months, but I do enjoy it!

- Hxoxoxoxoxo

Haha I can imagine the relief you would've felt :) Glad it wasn't a bad outcome

AshleyNZ said:
Haha I can imagine the relief you would've felt
smile.png
Glad it wasn't a bad outcome

I was relieved... and thanks, it's not a set back that i'd have needed there and then!

- Hxoxoxoxoxo

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back