Hi From Alberta Canada

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

albertatack

Reaction score
Originally born in the UK, we emigrated to western Canada in 2003. I got my first fish tank when I was 16 years old and apart from a short, 5 year break, have had fish for nearly 47 years my aquarium is set up as a Freshwater Community tank and is 6' x 2' x 2' which I think is about 180 gallons. wanting to get my tank full of live plants so will be doing lots of reading on the Lighting etc. section

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave. I'm a new member from BC. I have a much smaller tank that is 2' tall and I am looking to also have it heavily planted. The current setup I have is about 1 year old and I am just starting to get a bit of success with the ground cover. Looking forward to your observations and ideas for getting a planted tank working well. Drove past Stavely many times but I don't think we ever went into the community.

Good luck with your aquarium

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

It may be helpful to post a specific thread, asking any questions you have pertaining to lighting, or live plants. :)

Hi Dave. I'm a new member from BC. I have a much smaller tank that is 2' tall and I am looking to also have it heavily planted. The current setup I have is about 1 year old and I am just starting to get a bit of success with the ground cover. Looking forward to your observations and ideas for getting a planted tank working well. Drove past Stavely many times but I don't think we ever went into the community.

Good luck with your aquarium
I have had such poor luck with live plants in the past that I actually “threw in the towel” and bought a ton of artificial ones. I need to bite the bullet now and put some serious effort into making a descent home for my fish.

Stavely is a brilliant little town. About 500 people is all. I moved here from Manchester in England. They have a population about the size of Alberta???

Welcome.
After 47yrs there’s probably not a lot to be learnt but as I’m sure you’re aware there’s always something......
Until this time last year I’d been away from the hobby for 22yrs and the science, info and equipment has certainly moved on since then.
Look up your fish on seriously fish.com as there may be a little snippet of info about them that you didn’t know. It’s a fish scientist owned site and not just hearsay, rumour and weird opinions.

22yrs and the science, info and equipment has certainly moved on since then
Yep. It seems like the last 10 yrs have brought about a number of changes. In regards to plants the biggest improvement I have had are by using aquarium soil and purchasing an led light. It is still difficult to get sufficient light to the bottom of the tank without triggering an algae bloom. I expect at your area hard water might be an issue, comment entirely based on friends that lived in Fort Macleod. I do not use CO2 but I am experimenting with liquid carbon right now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back