Heyy All

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

garybuk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey all havnt been on in hear very long time :( have been in and out of hospital with meny things but im ok :) going start again with my tank but have a question :)

Im going go nano as i now live with my g/f in a small flat and wonderd about lighting for it... had a thort about hids(High-intensity discharge) these are made for car head lights you can get them in all coullers from 5k to 12k but you can get 14k and others too.

check this link out CLICKY the bulbs are quite small and dont get very hot.. so was wondering would these work for a marine nano light? a 14k and a 10k made into a diy halide/box

Hope everyone is well and had a good xmas

Hey all havnt been on in hear very long time :( have been in and out of hospital with meny things but im ok :) going start again with my tank but have a question :)

Im going go nano as i now live with my g/f in a small flat and wonderd about lighting for it... had a thort about hids(High-intensity discharge) these are made for car head lights you can get them in all coullers from 5k to 12k but you can get 14k and others too.

check this link out CLICKY the bulbs are quite small and dont get very hot.. so was wondering would these work for a marine nano light? a 14k and a 10k made into a diy halide/box

Hi,

Providing they are a suitable colour rating and put out enough light, then I can't seem why you couldn't use them. My only observation is that those kits look about as expensive (and even moreso in some cases) as marine LED light units lol. If you are looking for a powerful lighting alternative, you could use a 70w metal halide security floodlight, with an appropriate bulb. These are self contained units and essentially just need a powercord wired to them. You can get them for £35 on ebay. You could either build a canopy for the light to sit in, or mount it on the wall above the tank. I had 2 150w lights above my old 180L tank and the corals did just fine under those.

70w above a nano tank will be more than enough and 70w isn't that much, so it won't also cost an absolute fortune to run either.

Hi,

Providing they are a suitable colour rating and put out enough light, then I can't seem why you couldn't use them. My only observation is that those kits look about as expensive (and even moreso in some cases) as marine LED light units lol. If you are looking for a powerful lighting alternative, you could use a 70w metal halide security floodlight, with an appropriate bulb. These are self contained units and essentially just need a powercord wired to them. You can get them for £35 on ebay. You could either build a canopy for the light to sit in, or mount it on the wall above the tank. I had 2 150w lights above my old 180L tank and the corals did just fine under those.

70w above a nano tank will be more than enough and 70w isn't that much, so it won't also cost an absolute fortune to run either.

Thanks i have a few hid sets laying about witch made me think about it lol. they are 35w so 35w 14k and 10k 35w thats 70w :p i didnt look at the website prices i just did it for the collours , you can get em super cheap on ebay anyway

also they are only 12v so could be nice on the eletric maybe??

Hi,

Thanks i have a few hid sets laying about witch made me think about it lol. they are 35w so 35w 14k and 10k 35w thats 70w :p i didnt look at the website prices i just did it for the collours , you can get em super cheap on ebay anyway

also they are only 12v so could be nice on the eletric maybe??

Providing they aren't those cheapy strip LED lights that people stick on their cars to get the Audio R8 look lol, then I can't see why they won't work. The colour ratings are fine and so long as they belt out enough light, then you might as well make good use of them. I have the cheapy LED strips which I use as a night light and to get a bit of additional lighting in the tank when photographing it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back