Herbie Overflow Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Realized the setup I purchased, the owner was using the Herbie method, looked into how it's all set up and seems pretty straight forward, and I think it's the route I want to go if it means almost no water noise.

I've attached a picture of the sump, the main outlet drains into section 1 and there will be filter floss, it will be about 1" to 2" into the water. (The black piece will be removed)

In regards to the Herbie System, have a couple of questions.
Where should the emergency outlet pipe flow into and how far into the water should the pipe be?
Because it should be like a trickle system correct? Still allowing some water in but not a lot, so it's not a siphon system.
Section 5 is empty and does not get used, eventually, it does overflow into Section 1, would that be a good place for it?

Lastly, I shouldn't cut any outlet pipes shorter until I run the pump and determine the water levels correct?

Thanks

OdmUkNP.jpg

WVwetpq.jpg

never heard of the herbie system, unless you are talking about Herbie the love bug or Herbie goes bananas.

do you have a link for it?

never heard of the herbie system, unless you are talking about Herbie the love bug or Herbie goes bananas.

do you have a link for it?

Haha I thought the same thing, Herbie Fully Loaded.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

This is the website that provided the most useful information to me. I guess it answered my question how submerged the pipe should be.

I was just concerned how do I determine my operating water level without gluing everything. But I think what I'll do is glue and finalize the return lines, run the system, determine the water line and then adjust the input drain lengths accordingly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back