Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nufishlover

Reaction score
I was advised to post this message here-My Cory Spongebob just died and now my Cory Patrick is acting wierd. I never saw Spongebob acting this way-i just came one one day and he was sucked up against the intake filter dead. I put Patrick in a quarantine tank and sometimes I think he's dead because he's lying on his side then he's up swimming around and eating. Then I thought he was dead again because he floated up to the top of the tank very still like then he'd swim to the bottom and start over again. He did this a few more times then he started acting normal again. -_- He has no abnormal outward appearance except he is a little darker and I know that can be a sign of illness. Today I came home and he was lying on his side but when I touched the tank he was up swimming again What should I do? :/ The Water tests fine and I have had ten gallon tank for 9 mos. I do 25 to 30% water changes bi-monthly. I have 5 Zebra Danios and 4 Neon Tetra's that seem fine. The Danios are food hogs so maybe the Cories weren't getting enough to eat? I did lose a pleco a few months back and I never knew why. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks! :dunno:

This post has been edited by nufishlover on Apr 24 2004, 02:34 AM

Hi nufishlover :)

IMHO, your tank is somewhat overstocked and your cleaning is insufficient for the amount of fish that you keep.

While your water parameters might test fine, that does not reflect the amount of bad bacteria building up in there. These bacteria can attack a fish weakened by any kind of stress and bottom feeders are especially likely to become ill because they live down where all the decaying matter is accumulating.

The best preventative, and possibly the cure, is regular water changes and gravel vacuuming. There is nothing that will take the place of this. :no:

If you see any other signs of illness in your cory, such as finrot, white patches on his skin, etc., post back and I'll try to help. :D

Awww...... :*)

Thanks, jams.alaskan. You always say the nicest things! :D

The problem you described to me in a PM is a symptom of a bacterial infection. Corys are especially prone to getting it because they live on the bottom where the uneaten food and fish wastes collect.

Insufficient water changes and bottom cleanings can lead to this and so the first thing to do is give the tank a very good cleaning. Gradually bring the water temperature to no higher than 74-75 degrees and add an airstone to increase the oxygen level in the water. These things will slow the growth of the bacteria that is causing the infection.

To treat it, I suggest using the antibiotic Kanamycin. This is available at the lfs under the brand name Kanacyn by Aquatronics or KanaPlex by Seachem. Either one will be fine. If neither of these are available, my second choice is Maracyn AND Maracyn2 used together.

These medications will cure infections by Columnaris or by Aeromonas bacteria. Quite often corys will be infected by both at the same time.

Good luck. I hope your little guy will be feeling better soon. :)

My Cory has developed some shedding or sluffing of skin and is panting. I'm worried he's not going to make it. Any suggestions? What size tank do you recommend for 5 danios and 4 neon tetras? How do I post so it shows on the forum-I'm new at this? Thanks!

Sorry Im being such a dope about posting. Here is my last post. my Cory died about an hour ago and now I see a little hole was starting on his belly. :( Should I treat the other fish with the medicine you recommended? I was always planning on getting a larger tank so I got a 20 gallon today. After it cycles I'll move the fish over if they are all well. Thanks for all the advice! :)

As I said on your other thread. I'm so sorry that you lost him. Better luck with the twenty - sometimes the larger tanks are easier to keep things stable in. Best of luck!!!

ALASKA

I'm so sorry to learn about your cory, :byebye:

I wouldn't recommend using the medicine I suggested unless you actually see symptoms on your other fish. Kanamycin is an antibiotic and it's better to save it in case you really need it.

Do some good cleaning and water changes though. If the other fish have not yet been infected, that may be all the preventative measures you need take. On the other hand, MelaFix is a mild and natural anti bacterial product and it wouldn't hurt to add a bit to your tank, just in case. :D

Hi Inchworm and jams.alaskan

Thanks for the condolences! :( I did clean the tank, decorations, filter case and intake and put in a new filter. I lowered the temperature. Also did about a 30% water change.With this 10 gallon tank should I do weekly water changes? How much? I may keep this one going also with my new 20 gallon I'm just starting. I'm so glad I found this forum as it seems the best advice is from experience. :thumbs:

hello again, I change about 20 percent at least weekly in my 10 gal. I only vaccume 1/2 of the sand at a time so as not to disturb too much of my bacteria at a time. In my 45 gal I may change out as much as 20 percent once a week and again only vaccume about 1/4 or the gravel in it at a time. I don't often change my filter media, may swish the foam sleeve in some water I take from the tank to get off the big gunk but not with tap so as not to kill the bacteria on it. :D

ALASKA

In case you don't get my pm, here's the info I got from The Manual of Fish Health.

Gill disease/flukes:

Caused by: Gill problems may be caused by infections with certain fungi, bacteria, protozoans, and monogenetic flukes, and/or poor water quality.

Obvious symptoms: Telltale signs include rapid gill movements, swollen gills and discolored gill filaments with excess mucus. Fish go off their feed and lie motionless in the tank or gasp at the water surface.

Treatment and control:
Improving general water quality often eases the problem. thus, making a prompt 25-50% partial water change is a good initial treatment. If necessary, add an anti-bacterial medication to the tank. If this doesn't work, the problem might be caused by parasites and an insecticide such as metriphonate, formalin, or full course of coper treatment should be used.

HTH, but it seems to me you've got it covered. Good luck. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back