Help

Jazzzz

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
turo, devon
My two dwarf gouramis male/female are breathing rapidly whilst sat on the bottom

I don't have water stats but they had an 80% water change yesterday when I changed the substrate and removed the thousands of snails

no other symptons
 
We need water stats.

I would recommend on getting a test kit.

-FHM
 
First thing to look at is water quality. So its going to be hard without water stats.
Any other fish in the tank, if so how are they looking.
Do the fish lay to onside.
Do they look bloated.
Do they look pale or darker in colour.
The bucket you use for the water change did you rinse it before use, Any chemicals gotten into the tank.
Is there enough aeration in the tank.
Any excess mucas on the gills or body of the fish.
I would do a 25% water change to see if that helps.
 
didn't touch the filter and kept it in with the fish in there temporary home whilst i cleaned it out.

Its had a total clean outside with a hosepipe so thinking its down on bacteria

First thing to look at is water quality. So its going to be hard without water stats.
Any other fish in the tank, if so how are they looking. Its there own tank
Do the fish lay to onside. they are the right way up hovering just above the substrate
Do they look bloated. definatly not bloated
Do they look pale or darker in colour. good colouration still
The bucket you use for the water change did you rinse it before use, Any chemicals gotten into the tank. Its the same bowl I keep in a fish only cupboard I use every time and yes it was rinsed
Is there enough aeration in the tank. long airstone creating a small buble wall
Any excess mucas on the gills or body of the fish. no mucas
I would do a 25% water change to see if that helps.

Temp is 26
 
All you can do is a water change.
I would do the water change to see if that helps. If not get back to the board.
 
could be a simple stat change like ph

can cause some problems

are the gills red ?
 
Did you run the hose pipe for a while before cleaning the tank.

Any small bubbles on the glass or ornaments.
Any bubbles bemeath the fish skin.
 
I didn't run the hose pipe first but it gets used dailey

Could it be a Ph change as they had virtually no substrate befor end now they have an inch of argos play sand

no gill redness

no bubbles on tank or fish
 
Did you use boiling water on the sand before adding it to the tank.
I would do a water change for now.
 
I didn't run the hose pipe first but it gets used dailey

Could it be a Ph change as they had virtually no substrate befor end now they have an inch of argos play sand

no gill redness

no bubbles on tank or fish
I highly doubt that the pH has changed, it is most likely the lack of beneficail bacteria in your filter form cleaning everything.

Play sand should not effect your pH.

-FHM
 
no I didn't biol the sand I never have done before and the other tanks using sand from same bag are ok
changing water now


I didn't run the hose pipe first but it gets used dailey

Could it be a Ph change as they had virtually no substrate befor end now they have an inch of argos play sand

no gill redness

no bubbles on tank or fish
I highly doubt that the pH has changed, it is most likely the lack of beneficail bacteria in your filter form cleaning everything.

Play sand should not effect your pH.

-FHM

I deliberatly didn't touch the filter
 
Best to put boiling water over substrate to get rid of any nasties.

Where have you stored the sand and when did you last use it.
 
sand last used month ago ish I would say

Its store in its bag resealed completly with parcel tape to prevent stuff getting in
 
I would preform a water change and get your water tested.
It could be anything from ph, bad water quaility, bacterial.
Are the fish flicking and rubbing.
Make sure they not darting around the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top