Help With Pet Snail....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

laceypup

Reaction score
OK, today I "adopted" a tiny blackish-brown snail, probably only about 2 mm across, today as my pet - the lone surviving snail out of an entire store full of dozens of empty snail shells :(

I don't have a photo & I have absolutely no idea what kind of snail he/she is! Tiny blackish-brown shell, very round, her body is pretty long, light colored, and there is a lighter color at the bottom of her shell. The longer she sits here the bigger she seems to get LOL

When I found her in the pet store, she was pushed as far away from the fish as she could get up in the corner of the aquarium, all the other snails in the large tank were dead.

So I don't know a whole lot about snails! I bought a small "starter" mini-aquarium (a really small one that is sold for bettas...<<shudder>>), have a fake plant in there & some gravel, and a couple small algae wafer pieces. Was able to fill the entire thing with water from the pet store, which was good. Let some room at the top & have holes in the top for air.

Since I've had her home she's crawled around the thing over and over again, and even checked out the algae stuff.

So, what do I do with her now?? What does this kind of snail need? She looks nothing like the mystery or apple snails I've seen. Help!

By the way - she is cute! :hey: As I write this she is apparently bull-dozing the algae wafer with her shell LOL She just knocked it out of her way and is now crawling up the side of the little tank again.

OK, today I "adopted" a tiny blackish-brown snail, probably only about 2 mm across, today as my pet - the lone surviving snail out of an entire store full of dozens of empty snail shells :(

I don't have a photo & I have absolutely no idea what kind of snail he/she is! Tiny blackish-brown shell, very round, her body is pretty long, light colored, and there is a lighter color at the bottom of her shell. The longer she sits here the bigger she seems to get LOL

When I found her in the pet store, she was pushed as far away from the fish as she could get up in the corner of the aquarium, all the other snails in the large tank were dead.

So I don't know a whole lot about snails! I bought a small "starter" mini-aquarium (a really small one that is sold for bettas...<<shudder>>), have a fake plant in there & some gravel, and a couple small algae wafer pieces. Was able to fill the entire thing with water from the pet store, which was good. Let some room at the top & have holes in the top for air.

Since I've had her home she's crawled around the thing over and over again, and even checked out the algae stuff.

So, what do I do with her now?? What does this kind of snail need? She looks nothing like the mystery or apple snails I've seen. Help!

By the way - she is cute! :hey: As I write this she is apparently bull-dozing the algae wafer with her shell LOL She just knocked it out of her way and is now crawling up the side of the little tank again.

I should add - I also put a little lettuce in there to see what she'd do, if she'd eat it...

One more question - would my betta eat my snail??

Well this thread is quickly turning into my snail blog :D

She appears to have just finished eating a little bit of the lettuce. And the more I sit & stare at her the more she looks like a tiny, tiny apple snail. But she's too small to be one!!

She also appears to like her fake plant :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back