Help With My Platy Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

kingsend84

Reaction score
My Platy just started spinning around. I moved him over to the breeding tank so I can keep an eye on him. I canā€™t see any issue with him physically and apart from the spinning he is acting normal. I bought him from Pets at Home just over a month ago. I have a few other Platies and a pleco and they are all fine.
Ā 
Can I help him? I have done checks on the water and itā€™s all come out good.
Ā 
I made a quick video so I can see what's happening please help.Ā https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M76cnlpgxyc&feature=youtu.be

Oh my god! Poor thing, I really feel for him.
I don't know for sure but the first thing that springs to mind is parasites?
They can be present on his body, in his gills etc causing him to react like that?
Carry out a partial water change, medicate with salt....

Have you added anything new in the tank recently?

I've don't actually know if external parasites can make a fish react like that?

Maybe Whirling disease?

Iā€™ve moved him to another tank, but he doesnā€™t look good at all. He is currently just floating at the top of the tank. Is it normal for the other fish to all seem fine if its parasites?
He was fine most of the day then in the afternoon he started spinning now heā€™s stopped and seems to be resting. He went downhill so fast. :(

Well, in the short answer yes... If the fish was stressed or has a lower immunity then the parasites can kill. Parasites don't tend to kill their host as they need them to survive, but a stressed, ill fish can develop secondary infections that can kill it.

This also may be related to his swim bladder, .... Has his appearance changed? Does he look bloated? Skinny? Etc.
Could also be brain related too., an internal parasites...

Do you have any antibiotic medicines?
My phone is about to die off.... If no one else can help I would suggest salt treatment am lower the water a bit so he's can't spin so much if he has another episode.

It's a fishy miracle...So happy he is OK now. I think he is just nuts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMkmQapb1Xg&feature=youtu.be

nic1 said:
Well, in the short answer yes... If the fish was stressed or has a lower immunity then the parasites can kill. Parasites don't tend to kill their host as they need them to survive, but a stressed, ill fish can develop secondary infections that can kill it.

This also may be related to his swim bladder, .... Has his appearance changed? Does he look bloated? Skinny? Etc.
Could also be brain related too., an internal parasites...

Do you have any antibiotic medicines?
My phone is about to die off.... If no one else can help I would suggest salt treatment am lower the water a bit so he's can't spin so much if he has another episode.
Also thanks for the advice.
Ā 
I did place him in a net because he just would not stop spinning...Really happy he seems good now, but I will be keeping an eye on him just in case it returns.

That's good.... He could of been having a crazy moment..., best to keep an eye on him but glad he's ok now :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back