Help with friend’s betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ajr0053

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve got a question about a friend’s betta fish. He’s about 4 years old now in a 5 gallon planted tank. A few weeks back he developed a tumor on his side, and now his owner has noticed he has what seems like a possible fungal infection? His head has some weird texturing on it, which I will try to show in the photos. I noticed his eyes the most; at first they looked like cataracts but were just a white spot on the eye instead of on the pupil. Now there is a white ring around his pupil. His fins have also started to go downhill. His owner has been treating him with a seachem medication and has done water changes. The parameters and everything have been fine. Any help or diagnoses is appreciated! (I’m sorry if the pictures are wonky, he’s very dark and it was hard to get a phone flashlight on him to see the affected areas)

Attachments

• 69C6E781-485A-44AC-9D6B-061559699A96.jpeg
    69C6E781-485A-44AC-9D6B-061559699A96.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 0E3B1999-70B4-4045-AD5C-0A34EFB6A0C5.jpeg
    0E3B1999-70B4-4045-AD5C-0A34EFB6A0C5.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 183
  • C904617E-32B9-4A99-AA50-B7E57E52155E.jpeg
    C904617E-32B9-4A99-AA50-B7E57E52155E.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 162
Looks like a tumor, fugal infection, fin rot, and maybe pop-eye.

I’m going to be honest... it doesn’t look so good for your friends fish.

How often does he clean the tank? What are his water parameters? How often does he clean his filter?

I agree, he really doesn't look good. He is really old though.
Maybe @Colin_T could help you too.

Looks like a tumor, fugal infection, fin rot, and maybe pop-eye.

I’m going to be honest... it doesn’t look so good for your friends fish.

How often does he clean the tank? What are his water parameters? How often does he clean his filter?
She’s usually good about cleaning and maintenance, but she was gone for an internship for an entire week and had someone else take care of it. Are there any medications you’d suggest for him? Thank you for your help

She’s usually good about cleaning and maintenance, but she was gone for an internship for an entire week and had someone else take care of it. Are there any medications you’d suggest for him? Thank you for your help
At this point, I'm not sure.

Tumors usually mean death for a Better fish. We really need @Colin_T's advice here...

Do daily 75% water changes, substrate clean and add rock salt, pool salt or aquarium salt with the dose rate of 2 heaped of table spoon per 20 litres of water

Can we have water parameters? All of this diseases often cause by poor water qualities.

He is very old and turning the corner. Keep him in clean water with aquarium salt. Keep him comfortable as long as he is happy. When he stops eating, It will be time to euthanize him. They usually go pretty quickly on their own once they start deteriorating.

Do daily 75% water changes, substrate clean and add rock salt, pool salt or aquarium salt with the dose rate of 2 heaped of table spoon per 20 litres of water

Can we have water parameters? All of this diseases often cause by poor water qualities.
I’ve asked her to send them, and she said ammonia/ammonium and nitrates were zero. Not sure about ph.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back