Help With Cycle

NewbToFish

New Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi Fish goers im new to this hobby and i checked out my LFS and got all the info. My Ammonia is 0 but my Nitrite is about 2.0. I have 3x Bog Wood Some Java Fern, Java Moss, and 3x Danios. Everything seems fine ecept its been three weeks and I used the bottled bacteria and the Nitrite won come down. Any Tips? :blink:
 
:hi:
I'm just stepping in until an expert comes along, but the first thing I'd wonder is how often you're doing water changes?
I'd always done fish-in cycling, although I now use a different method, but I always did LOTS of water changes, starting with daily, because fish not only poop but respire ammonia, and a very low level of ammonia/nitrite is still toxic and can stress/sicken/kill fish.
I've heard some of the weirdest advice from various LFS's, and in fact was just recently helping a friend of my brothers who'd had disastrous advice - even though she was WORKING at a chain pet store.

People advising usually like to see info like tank size, water stats, type of test used (as some are fairly inaccurate, especially if older) temp, water change routine, tank cleaning procedure, etc., so if you have this posted, it would be helpful to the experts which will be along shortly.

What's happening in your tank (NOT EXPERT) is that you're part-way through a cycle, and the ammonia's being converted by one type of bacteria into (toxic) nitrite, but another lot, which will convert the nitrite into nitrates hasn't yet populated the tank.
These bacteria types will propagate throughout the tank, gravel, driftwood, ect., so you don't want to overclean these, just change enough water to reduce the toxins.
I'm guessing you were not able to obtain cultured media for your filter from an established tank in order to rapid-cycle.
The bacteria in your filter has the water and 'nutrients' on which beneficial bacteria will feed circulating through it and it is essential that this media NOT be changed regularly or in full, as many LFS' will advise, or be rinsed in tap water, which will kill the bacteria on which your fish's lives depend.
At least, they will once it's built up, but it generally takes about 6 weeks and sometimes more to establish the required bacteria to support however many critters are currently in your tank.

If I were you, and I had nitrite in any of my tanks, I'd be doing a large water change right now, and if you have records of your water stats (run a test prior to doing the water change, if you haven't done one today, so you know what your fish have been subjected to) and as soon as that's done, if you can post the required information, you'll have all kinds of experienced help.
But I would NOT leave the fish in any level of nitrites any longer than is humanly possible - even if you don't see any obvious signs, the fish are being silently poisoned.
Thank you so much for being smart enough to look for information, and to come here, where so many experienced fish keepers are so happy to help out.
And it's a very great pleasure to make your acquaintance - somebody, soon will be far more helpful than I can be.
 
Welcome to the forum Newb.
If your test kit is reliable, the nitrite reading is dangerous to your fish. Any nitrites over about 0.25 ppm need immediate attention. To reduce the nitrites, you will need to do large partial water changes. I would start with several 50% changes in a row at maybe one hour apart. Be sure to use the water conditioner to remove chlorine from the new water and don't forget to unplug the heater while the water level is low to avoid burning up the heater. After the first 3 or 4 changes, the water should be starting to get close to the safe zone so it will be time to sample for nitrites again and judge how many more changes are needed.
If you are using paper strip tests, I would do at least one water change and go get the liquid test kit. That one change is just in case the strip is anywhere close to accurate.
 
Hey Thanks for the Help guys Ill do a 50% right away and see if that brings it down. I have done a 25% before and It helped alttle but ill try it again
 
i am also doing a fish-in cycle, i do 25% water changes every day or two. i want to know if using seachem prime is ok for tryin to establish a tank?
 
i am also doing a fish-in cycle, i do 25% water changes every day or two. i want to know if using seachem prime is ok for tryin to establish a tank?

Yes, that is a very good water conditioner to add to the water when doing water changes.

-FHM
 
Seachem Prime is what I use as a dechlorinator. It does not claim to be able to cycle a tank. It will make harmless the bit of ammonia you get when chloramine breaks down but is not to be used in place of water changes to keep the fish from being poisoned by ammonia in the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top