Help! Whit Bumps On Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

natty2107

Reaction score
Hi I have had a half barrel pond in my garden for about 8 months and added 3 goldfish to it about 3/4 weeks ago. I noticed one had white bumps on its fin when I put it in, but thought this was just part of its markings. These have now spread and the other 2 goldfish have them too, mainly on their fine but also on their bodies. Help! What do you think it might be and what should I do?? Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 219
How many gallons is the pond? What are the water parameters? (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) Have you added any chemicals to the water? How are the fish acting?

Do the lumps look like a cauliflower? Or a cluster of eggs?
Do the lumps look hard, of soft like filled with fluid?
Any red  or pink areas to the lumps, like red in the middle of the lump or outside edging of the lumps?
Did the lumps just suddenly appear?
Any signs of flicking and rubbing?

How many gallons is the pond?
Water stats please would also be helpful.
Do you run a filter?

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate it. I do not have a testing kit so am not sure of the parameters (will be getting this at the garden/aquatic centre on my way home from work tomorrow). I have not added any chemicals to the water, but I have refreshed about a third of it every week or so with tap water that has been sat out for a couple of days. I do not have a filter either so I'll be asking advice tomorrow about whether I need one (I'm guessing you all think I probably do??)

The fish are acting normally - active and eating as normal. No signs of flicking or rubbing. The fish with the spots on the fin has had them about 3/4 weeks but the others have just appeared. No red or pink areas in the lumps. They look soft I think. I tried to take some more pics earlier but the fish are incredibly hard to catch (I've been to generous with hiding places!) and they also won't stay still!!

Thanks again for your help.

Also lymthocystis lumps can be smooth. Usually present themselves on fins. first. Also it viral.
Get you some information.
Do the lumps look like there filled with fluid?

All you can do is try an internal bacteria medication Interpet. You will need to know how many gallons the pond is so
you can add the right amount of medication to the water.

Lymphocystis

stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish�s tissues, destroying its cells.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish�s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

Fish Disease Net

Most reactions

Back