Help! Pop Eye?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had 2 powder blue dwarfs, and sadly lost them both to this very thing. No matter what I did, they succumbed. Had them in a hospital tank. One held on for a month, got a better, but then went downhill fast.

I do hope your luck is better than mine.

I hope so too!

Well, I'm totally perplexed this morning. I went to check up on my gourami, and his eyes are totally back to normal. They're not popping out at all anymore. I took some pics, which I'll post a little later. Is this normal? Can that just fix itself? His scales are still slightly pineconed, but he looks a little less bloated to me too.
I'm obviously still going to do the salt treatments. He's going to get his first bath in a little bit.
I've also ordered the Kanaplex and a heater, which should be here by Saturday. So, if he hasn't improved from just the salt by then, I'll set up his quarantine tank.

If its bacterial, its still always plausible for fish to recover using their own immune system, so he may be fighting off some of it too.

If its bacterial, its still always plausible for fish to recover using their own immune system, so he may be fighting off some of it too.

That would be great. I really hope that's the case.

If you lift the fish out of water while it has dropsy, you can kill it or make the problem worse. If you have to move the fish, catch it in a net and keep it in the water. Then put a small bucket under the net and lift the fish up in the net in the container of water. This way the fish isn't lifted out of water and the weight of its body doesn't squash its guts which are currently filled with fluid.

If you lift the fish out of water while it has dropsy, you can kill it or make the problem worse. If you have to move the fish, catch it in a net and keep it in the water. Then put a small bucket under the net and lift the fish up in the net in the container of water. This way the fish isn't lifted out of water and the weight of its body doesn't squash its guts which are currently filled with fluid.

Oh, yikes, okay. I did take him out of the water for a split second to move him from his bath, back into the tank. I hope I didn't make him worse. I won't take him out again. Thanks for letting me know.

He seems better tonight than he did this morning. He is actively swimming, and he also ate his dinner.

My gourami seems to be doing really well today. He's active and swimming, and he has a huge appetite. He ate his pellets this morning, and he has been eating algae and nibbling on plants all day.
It took me ages to catch him in order to give him his salt bath this morning. I use a bowl to scoop him out of the tank, and he has already learned what the bowl means. He was totally messing with me this morning too. He swam up to the top of the tank, then as soon as I put the bowl in the water, he swam down to a spot where he knows I can't get at him. Then he looked at me like, "Haha, I'm much too fast for you! You'll never catch me!" :lol: We probably went through this 15 times before I had to use the net to guide him into the bowl.
The heater arrived today, so I can start setting up his quarantine tank. The medicine should get here tomorrow.
Once he's in his quarantine tank, do I still have to give him salt baths, or can I just put the salt directly into his tank?

I would say its probably fine in the QT tank

I'm glad to hear he's improving a bit! That's great news

If it is eating and seems better, I would leave it where it is and not add any medication. Just monitor and see how it goes.

Medications stress fish and if the fish is recovering without it, there is no need to add it.

If it is eating and seems better, I would leave it where it is and not add any medication. Just monitor and see how it goes.

Medications stress fish and if the fish is recovering without it, there is no need to add it.

I was actually just going to ask about that. I think I'm going to leave him in his main tank and just continue with the salt baths. If he stops getting better, or gets worse, then I'll give him the medicine. Thanks!

Just wanted to give a little update. My gourami is doing really, really well. He just gets better and better every day, and his swelling and pineconining is pretty much gone now. I'm sure that by tomorrow he will be completely back to normal again.
Thank you so much for your help @NCaquatics and @Colin_T!

I'm happy to hear! Thank goodness you didn't need the antibiotics, can save those for another time (hope there is no other time)

I'm happy to hear! Thank goodness you didn't need the antibiotics, can save those for another time (hope there is no other time)

Yes, I'm going to keep the antibiotics, just in case. Hopefully, I won't have to use them though!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back