April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I noticed my Honey Gourami's eyes look very buggy today, and I think he might have popeye. He also looks a bit bloated.
He ate fine this morning, and seems to be able to swim normally too.
Is he sick? What should I do to treat him?
@Colin_T @Deanasue
IMG_20201118_184927797.jpg
IMG_20201118_184846700_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201118_184749214.jpg

Looking to be internal bacterial.

I notice some pineconing to his scales which is characteristic of dropsy. And this can also be accompanied with Popeye.

What is your ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate?

Looking to be internal bacterial.

I notice some pineconing to his scales which is characteristic of dropsy. And this can also be accompanied with Popeye.

What is your ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate?

I noticed the slight pineconing too, but I can't remember if he has always looked like that, or if it's new.
I can check my parameters, but I just did a water change two days ago, so I don't think it's a water quality issue.

Okay, I've tested my water. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm, and Nitrates are somewhere between 0-5ppm.

Okay, I've tested my water. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm, and Nitrates are somewhere between 0-5ppm.
Good then water quality can be ruled out.

Unfortunately gouramis are very prone to dropsy. I would suggest an antibiotic if you can get a hold of it, if not, try an epsom salt bath.

Plain undyed unscented epsom salt can be bought at pharmacies or health stores, or even Walmart type stores.

Same dose you would for aquarium salt, use it for him. It will also help with the Popeye.
Usually dropsy can be caused by internal bacterial infections or parasites or overfeeding. Bettas and gouramis are very prone to this Unfortunately.

Good then water quality can be ruled out.

Unfortunately gouramis are very prone to dropsy. I would suggest an antibiotic if you can get a hold of it, if not, try an epsom salt bath.

Plain undyed unscented epsom salt can be bought at pharmacies or health stores, or even Walmart type stores.

Same dose you would for aquarium salt, use it for him. It will also help with the Popeye.
Usually dropsy can be caused by internal bacterial infections or parasites or overfeeding. Bettas and gouramis are very prone to this Unfortunately.

I don't have any anitbiotic on hand, but I can get some. Which one should I get?
I have aquarium salt, should I use that, or the epsom salt?
Also, should I put the salt directly into the tank, or should I just give him a salt bath? If I should give him a bath, what would be the best way to do that, and for how long?

Epsom salt for dropsy.
Id opt for the bath, you can make it a little stronger with the salt, dip him for no longer than 30min 2x a day.

Dropsy is difficult to treat, so a heads up about that.

Id go for kanaplex or furan for the antibiotic

Epsom salt for dropsy.
Id opt for the bath, you can make it a little stronger with the salt, dip him for no longer than 30min 2x a day.

Dropsy is difficult to treat, so a heads up about that.

Id go for kanaplex or furan for the antibiotic

Okay, thank you. I'll start the baths tomorrow, since he's already asleep.
I know dropsy's hard to treat, but I really like this fish, so I'm going to try everything I can.
I'll see if I can find those antibiotics. If I add either of them to my tank, will it hurt my other fish?

Okay, thank you. I'll start the baths tomorrow, since he's already asleep.
I know dropsy's hard to treat, but I really like this fish, so I'm going to try everything I can.
I'll see if I can find those antibiotics. If I add either of them to my tank, will it hurt my other fish?
Do you have any cories or catfish, or loaches in this tank?
If yes, you may have to separate this guy to a hospital tank and treat him in that.

Do you have any cories or catfish, or loaches in this tank?
If yes, you may have to separate this guy to a hospital tank and treat him in that.

I have a pleco in the tank.

I have a pleco in the tank.
Then separate him to a separate tank, otherwise you'd have to half dose some meds, better to full dose him in a hospital tank. Plus antibiotics can mess with your cycle, so you can just dose a separate tank and not ruin the cycle or half dose

Then separate him to a separate tank, otherwise you'd have to half dose some meds, better to full dose him in a hospital tank. Plus antibiotics can mess with your cycle, so you can just dose a separate tank and not ruin the cycle or half dose

Okay. I have a 10 gallon that I'm not using, and an old filter. I'll have to get a heater, but I can get that when I get the antibiotics.
Thank you for your help!

If you have to use anti-biotics, use them in a clean bare container with no gravel, no wood or porous ornaments, and no filter. Just have a heater and airstone bubbling away, and maybe some plastic plants. Most anti-biotics will wipe out filter bacteria as well as bacteria affecting the fish.

Before you re-treat the tank, you should wipe down the inside, do a 100% water change with dechlorinated water, and then treat the tank.

If you treat the main tank, the anti-biotics will get wasted on bacteria in the gravel, filter, on the glass and plants. This is why you use a bare container for treating them, so the medication is used to treat the fish and not wasted killing other bacteria in the tank.

--------------------
Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.
You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

If you can't get a separate container to treat the fish, remove carbon from filters before treating the main tank, otherwise the carbon will remove the medication.

I had 2 powder blue dwarfs, and sadly lost them both to this very thing. No matter what I did, they succumbed. Had them in a hospital tank. One held on for a month, got a better, but then went downhill fast.

I do hope your luck is better than mine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back