The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RavenSong

Reaction score
I got some glowfish danios yesterday and they were doing great last night and this morning, however when i got home from work all 3 have downward curved spines (U shaped) and look slightly bloated (bellies look boxy). They are swimming perfectly fine and super active. None of my other fish are like this, just the danios. I'm new to fish keeping and I'm really worried about them, any help would be great!

I've attached the photos I could take of them.

Attachments

• 20230222_203207.jpg
    20230222_203207.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230222_203217.jpg
    20230222_203217.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 22
I may be totally off base but I'm going to make a guess that it is due to their being glowfish. When you genetically modify an animal such as is done with glowfish it is like playing Russian roulette.

And :hi: to the forums. :)

I may be totally off base but I'm going to make a guess that it is due to their being glowfish. When you genetically modify an animal such as is done with glowfish it is like playing Russian roulette.

And :hi: to the forums. :)
yeah... they look like they have dropsy.
63ABE876-63DA-4696-B085-61D8B2AEF34A-m4tjq5eall_v_1627909849.jpeg
photo for refrence:

yeah... they look like they have dropsy.
63ABE876-63DA-4696-B085-61D8B2AEF34A-m4tjq5eall_v_1627909849.jpeg
photo for refrence:
Yea, that's what I thought too after a while of looking things up. I tested there water and noticed they were a little high in ammonia so I did a 50% water change and cleaned their substrate. I also got some peas for them just incase it is bloating from me possibly over feeding them (me and the fish are new so still trying to find how much they will eat). After I did that they are looking much better, the bloating has gone down and their spines are back to normal. Just in case I'm preparing my smaller tank to be a hospital tank (salt bath) and I'm going to keep testing their tank. Thank you both for your help!

I tried taking another photo of my yellow danio but they are super active rn lol, I think they are happy.

Attachments

• 20230222_233319.jpg
    20230222_233319.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 26
Yea, that's what I thought too after a while of looking things up. I tested there water and noticed they were a little high in ammonia so I did a 50% water change and cleaned their substrate. I also got some peas for them just incase it is bloating from me possibly over feeding them (me and the fish are new so still trying to find how much they will eat). After I did that they are looking much better, the bloating has gone down and their spines are back to normal. Just in case I'm preparing my smaller tank to be a hospital tank (salt bath) and I'm going to keep testing their tank. Thank you both for your help!

I tried taking another photo of my yellow danio but they are super active rn lol, I think they are happy.
wow! i am so glad it worked so well!
what fish food do you use? sometimes it is low in fiber, which is a problem I had a while ago

Ammonia shouldn't be "low" it needs to be at zero at all times.... same for nitrites. If you're experiencing an ammonia spike after introducing just three more fish, it suggests a problem in the system.

This also illustrates just why quarantining new fish is an important lesson to learn.

Can you tell us more about the entire tank size and stocking, please? Zebra danios like the glofish versions you show in your photo are schooling fish, and need to be in groups of 8-12.

Most reactions

trending

Back