help... not sure what to do now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxaprilrose

Reaction score
So I have a new 90 gallon tank. The SECOND i filled up my tank and turned on the filter the water has been soooo cloudy. Never even had a chance to get the "cloudy due to bacteria" stage. I feel like something mustve caused it? Its been this way now for 5 days (filled it 5 days ago). The water was filled, I used seachem prime to dechlorinate, then I also added fritz 7 for the bacteria but it was cloudy before the bacteria. I did rinse EVERYTHING before filling tank. I have a hunch maybe it could be the filter? Im using Seachem Tidel 110 for the filter but I added some other stuff into it so the layers are as follows:

bottom layer: filter floss
second layer: sponge that comes with the filter
third layer: carbon sheet
fourth layer: another sponge (same one as before)
fifth layer: 3 packets of purigen (i have driftwood so was trying to prevent tannins)
top sixth layer: the biomedia that came with the filter

Did I add stuff in the wrong order and maybe thats whats causing it? Or maybe just simply buy another filter and use both and see what happens?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks so much.

Also things to note: ph: 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0

Attachments

• 210918570_541501200320672_1984592970160266789_n.jpg
    210918570_541501200320672_1984592970160266789_n.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 211058270_517235322959212_6979276137794958017_n.jpg
    211058270_517235322959212_6979276137794958017_n.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 36
A little cloudiness on initial setup is not unusual. It could be find particulates from the sand, which is likely since you just filled it. I would monitor it for a while before doing anything drastic. It is likely that the substrate dust is too fine to be removed directly via the filter floss. As biofilms developed that dust may simply get trapped that way. Sand can take hours to clean, I have changed two of my tanks to sand substrate, my 75 gallon didn't have any cloudiness, the 20 long had so much that I couldn't see through the tank. The difference is I dumped the water into the 20 gallon but for the 75 I pre planted it and so slowly added the water and the sand wasn't disturbed as much. The 20 gallon is now clear as well.

It is likely a bacterial bloom at least in part. This can occur in new tanks, and may last anywhere from hours to days. The source (tap) water is full of dissolved organics (most would be surprised at how much), and by dechlorinating you allow the bacteria that feed on organics to multiply, which they do rapidly, causing cloudiness.

Sediment from the substrate may be part of it too, and the post above which appeared as I have been typing covers that aspect.

Last edited:
I concur with the above. Give the filter time to do it’s work. If it’s not clear in a day or so, I would say it’s just the sand. But if it’s been setup for the 5 days that you mentioned, I would definitely say it’s a bacteria bloom.

If it is the sand which does sound likely because I thought I cleaned it well but maybe it didn’t, how long does that take to settle on average? It’s just driving me nuts. I love clear water lol and also thanks everyone for ur answers!

If it is the sand which does sound likely because I thought I cleaned it well but maybe it didn’t, how long does that take to settle on average? It’s just driving me nuts. I love clear water lol and also thanks everyone for ur answers!

My method has always worked, so here it is. Once I have the tank aquascape the way I want it, with hardscape and plants, I completely drain the water down to the substrate. Then refill the tank, placing a large clean bowl or similar container that is wide but not too deep, and pour or run the water into the bowl. It will gently overflow the sides without disturbing the sand, and the tank will be much clearer than before.

@xxaprilrose, the sand dust in my tank mostly settled in 2 days, it is still partially cloudy but I am going to do a water change this weekend, which should clear it up.

When I started up my tank, it took 4 days for the initial cloudiness to clear up after I forgot to rinse the sand.
IMG-2501.jpgIMG-2514.JPG

My method has always worked, so here it is. Once I have the tank aquascape the way I want it, with hardscape and plants, I completely drain the water down to the substrate. Then refill the tank, placing a large clean bowl or similar container that is wide but not too deep, and pour or run the water into the bowl. It will gently overflow the sides without disturbing the sand, and the tank will be much clearer than before.
This works for me as well. When setting up a new tank, I usually use tap water to initially fill it up. Then I drain it down to the sand and refill it will conditioned water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back