Help needed

And yea theres a few brands - the prodibio i used has a initial ā€˜start upā€™ then a ā€˜digestā€˜ and a ā€™stop ammonā€™. Not sure why, maybe its the concentration - (based on the cost and the tiny amount in each vial i think it is) but it worked well and my tank is stocked and stable..

Ill put some more info in more build thread and leave this to the OP

thanks all for the replies. Here is an image of the tank, donā€™t laugh though it does look like a 5 year old has set it up! Clearly have a lot to learn! Iā€™ve done a video but need to figure out how to post it.
Youā€™ll see I have 4 Male guppies, again when I went into the aquatics place I said I wanted 1 Male and 3 females but was recommended not to as Iā€™m a novice and will have fry. One of the guppies is being bullied and has had some of his beautiful tail nipped! Basically I could cry as itā€™s a total disaster. But I will get it sorted with all your help

Attachments

• 39CDB7D6-15EF-410A-8A9F-67969979F786.jpeg
    39CDB7D6-15EF-410A-8A9F-67969979F786.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 71
Oh and 3 Mollies. So.... 6 neon tetras, 4 Male guppies, 3 mollies. Tried to have a peaceful tank! Seems itā€™s unlucky 13. 65lt tank.

Oh and 3 Mollies. So.... 6 neon tetras, 4 Male guppies, 3 mollies. Tried to have a peaceful tank! Seems itā€™s unlucky 13. 65lt tank.
Maybe try a few female guppies to take some of the action away from the bullied male? Obviously you have to watch your stocking levels but I'm sure if you keep your feeding amounts correct, good maintenance, and you have good filtration you should be ok. Any unwanted fry will probably be eaten by the mollies.

thanks all for the replies. Here is an image of the tank, donā€™t laugh though it does look like a 5 year old has set it up! Clearly have a lot to learn! Iā€™ve done a video but need to figure out how to post it.
Youā€™ll see I have 4 Male guppies, again when I went into the aquatics place I said I wanted 1 Male and 3 females but was recommended not to as Iā€™m a novice and will have fry. One of the guppies is being bullied and has had some of his beautiful tail nipped! Basically I could cry as itā€™s a total disaster. But I will get it sorted with all your help

Its best to start off like this so any mistakes donā€™t cost you the earth and hurt a lot of livestock. I learnt the exact same way so now I feel a lot more confident with a bigger tank.

This was my first tank and the same as you i always thought a little child had aquascaped it.
8B158ECF-E44E-4218-A070-BB43A761A9D3.jpeg

Maybe try a few female guppies to take some of the action away from the bullied male? Obviously you have to watch your stocking levels but I'm sure if you keep your feeding amounts correct, good maintenance, and you have good filtration you should be ok. Any unwanted fry will probably be eaten by the mollies.
Thanks. Appreciated. Sadly the bullied guppy died and the other 3 seem peaceful. Perhaps he was unwell ā€ā™€ļø. I have considered getting females, however I donā€™t want to overpopulate, but itā€™s definitely an option. The little neon still isnā€™t eating, Iā€™ve got some bloodworm coming to see if itā€™s being fussy.

Its best to start off like this so any mistakes donā€™t cost you the earth and hurt a lot of livestock. I learnt the exact same way so now I feel a lot more confident with a bigger tank.

This was my first tank and the same as you i always thought a little child had aquascaped it.View attachment 121487
Thanks. Have just seen your new tank and it looks good

Thanks. Have just seen your new tank and it looks good
Thanks

Mind you ive just had a mare and lost a juvenile cobalt blue cichlid tonight - looks like i had a problem with the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. I added a couple of powerheads to agitate the surface and its all good. But Iā€™ve never had to worry about that in a small tank.

I think your tank is lovely. I've been there with a fish in cycle disaster tank. But you will turn it around with some hard work. Hard work now - long term gain.

Test your water daily. When ammonia and/nitrite is above 0 do a 75% water change. If nitrate goes above 20 do a 75% change. For me I had to do these big changes daily for 12 days. Now my tank only needs a weekly water change. No more panic and no more deaths.

I'd also add plenty of real plants to help improve your water quality. Fast growing floating plants like salvinia or frogbit will also give cover to the fish and help they feel more secure. Fast growing plants like Hygrophila 'Siamensis', water wisteria, Limnophila sessiliflora, elodea. You can check your local shop supply of plants & then check https://tropica.com/en/ for plant care info.

I hope it's not overwhelming. A day at time. Put an hour aside to change water. And soon you'll see the numbers stabilise. Your fish will be better for it and your tank more stable.

Thanks

Mind you ive just had a mare and lost a juvenile cobalt blue cichlid tonight - looks like i had a problem with the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. I added a couple of powerheads to agitate the surface and its all good. But Iā€™ve never had to worry about that in a small tank.
Sorry to hear about your fish. Itā€™s quite sad when weā€™re trying to do our best. You sound very experienced though and Iā€™m sure itā€™ll all come good.

I think your tank is lovely. I've been there with a fish in cycle disaster tank. But you will turn it around with some hard work. Hard work now - long term gain.

Test your water daily. When ammonia and/nitrite is above 0 do a 75% water change. If nitrate goes above 20 do a 75% change. For me I had to do these big changes daily for 12 days. Now my tank only needs a weekly water change. No more panic and no more deaths.

I'd also add plenty of real plants to help improve your water quality. Fast growing floating plants like salvinia or frogbit will also give cover to the fish and help they feel more secure. Fast growing plants like Hygrophila 'Siamensis', water wisteria, Limnophila sessiliflora, elodea. You can check your local shop supply of plants & then check https://tropica.com/en/ for plant care info.

I hope it's not overwhelming. A day at time. Put an hour aside to change water. And soon you'll see the numbers stabilise. Your fish will be better for it and your tank more stable.
Many thanks, my ammonia is now reading 0, however my PH IS 7.6. I find it all very confusing. Good to hear about further plants too, thatā€™s another thing thatā€™s baffled me, so many different reviews and things to read. I take my whole life one day at a time, so that advice works very well.

Many thanks, my ammonia is now reading 0, however my PH IS 7.6. I find it all very confusing. Good to hear about further plants too, thatā€™s another thing thatā€™s baffled me, so many different reviews and things to read. I take my whole life one day at a time, so that advice works very well.

What's your tap water ph? If you leave a glass out over night and test

It is confusing especially on forums as everyone has their own opinion. Find something that works and stick to it.

ive got a little book where I write everything down and if someone gives you advice about parameters or something use google to confirm it

Most reactions

Back