Help needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Joolsajones

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to tropical fish owning, long story short I wasnā€™t given correct info by my local aquatics store, and told to not read forums!

I only had the tank set up and running a week before adding fish.

I have bought a test kit and itā€™s high in ammonia. Iā€™ve bought Seachem and have done a 10lt water change to try and bring it down while it cycles.

I have 6 neon tetras and 5 are eating and growing, 1 isnā€™t interested in food even though theyā€™re in the middle of the feed! Why?!

If ammonia is still at a dangerous level then the fish could be experiencing ammonia stress or poisoning.

Signs of ammonia stress are :
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Hovering at the bottom of the tank (especially for surface dwelling fish)
  • Gasping at the surface
  • Inflamed gills
  • Red streaks or inflammation in the fins
Keep doing regular water changes to take out the excess ammonia until the cycle has finished and the bacteria can deal with the bio load

Hi, I am new to tropical fish owning, long story short I wasnā€™t given correct info by my local aquatics store, and told to not read forums!

They actually told you at your lfs not read forums......What! That's just wrong.

Take others advice here because they know what they are doing.
I have only found maybe one lfs that did know something about what they where doing and that is among the many I have visited over the years.

Since you have fish in the tank, you will be doing a fish in cycle.

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week. Don't worry, the fish won't starve. Unlike mammals that use most of the food they eat to keep warm, most fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water. this means they don't need to eat to stay warm and any food they do consume is used for moving and growing.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Continue doing this until the tank has cycled in about 6 weeks time. After the tank has cycled, you can feed the fish every day and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week.

-----------------
What sort of filter is on the tank?

Post pictures of the fish that isn't eating.

I know that these products can be a bit contentious on forums but over the past 30 odd years ive learned to listen to the advice but also try things out myself...

I still do the normal cycle as above but on my last Cichlid tank I used these little glass vials that you break open and put in.. similar to the bio boost products etc. They are hideously expensive but it ā€˜cycledā€™ my 5ft tank in 24 hours and was capable of managing a big bio load straight away.

I know that these products can be a bit contentious on forums but over the past 30 odd years ive learned to listen to the advice but also try things out myself...

I still do the normal cycle as above but on my last Cichlid tank I used these little glass vials that you break open and put in.. similar to the bio boost products etc. They are hideously expensive but it ā€˜cycledā€™ my 5ft tank in 24 hours and was capable of managing a big bio load straight away.

Any chance you can post a link to those glass vials? I'm genuinely curious about them would like to read more.

Am i allowed to?

Mate I didnā€™t want to harp on as usually you get feathered and tarred for not doing the tried and tested cycle.

Bascially I was given about 4 packs of them and within about 8 hours i could add the ammonia vial and it was eaten up.
I moved more and more of my livestock over and the tanks been really stable.

Ive Pmd you the link

Yes you are allowed to provide a link to things, as long as your not advertising a product.

As for liquid bacterial supplements (beneficial filter bacteria in a bottle), we sometimes recommend them on this forum, depending on the situation. Most brands do work and can help get things going much quicker.

In this case where the OP is doing a fish in cycle, a filter bacteria supplement might help.

These were very impressive. I havenā€™t seen them in little glass vials before that you snap open - very posh but about Ā£15 for a pack of 4. For 450 litres i needed about 7 packs.

Yes you are allowed to provide a link to things, as long as your not advertising a product.

As for liquid bacterial supplements (beneficial filter bacteria in a bottle), we sometimes recommend them on this forum, depending on the situation. Most brands do work and can help get things going much quicker.

In this case where the OP is doing a fish in cycle, a filter bacteria supplement might help.

Going off of Colin's post, @Jamesthecat, you should tell us a bit more how it went for ya. I'm reading reviews on it now.. this stuff sounds pretty awesome. Seems like most ppl that had a bad experience dosed it wrong, but also saw someone say the instructions aren't very clear.. how did you use it? Sorry to pry at ya >.>

*Edit - so ppl know, it's a product called prodibio start up. Looks like there are a couple different products that appear similar.. not sure what the differences are.

Also, sorry to the OP!

Last edited:
Yeh sorry weā€™ve hijacked the OP post. Iā€™m actually just typing my build thread but basically threw in 25 vials then 4 hours later the vial of ammonia and tested. Then every 4 days added another 5 vials

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back