Help! My Tank is Overrun!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter02

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been successfully keeping planted tropical tanks for a number of years now but have finally run into a problem I just cannot seem to beat. I have one tank that is a small tropical community tank that had been heavily planted and lush at one time. Months ago, literally from nowhere, a small plant began to take over.
:-(
It’s not very tall, only about .5” tall, very dark in color, a black/green in fact. It grows on EVERY thing and smothered my plants. Eventually, the tank was completely covered in this stuff, I just couldn’t fight it down.

I bought a new tank with new substrate and transferred the fish after conditioning with no problems. I even replaced the filter!! After adding new plants, I had hoped things were going to go nicely.
:D
I will admit I tried to save some of the old rocks from the older tank. I boiled them for hours in salty water. I then baked them in the over for a very long time. Eventually I scrubbed the top layer off of each one with brillow pads then cleaned the rocks again to make sure no roots remained.

Well, the new tank went well at first but then it appeared AGAIN!!! This time it started on the new filter tubes and proceeded to spread quickly from there. I can only guess that some parts of it may have been in the water that the fish were transfer in.
:eek:
I have taken ALL the plants out of the tank, they were getting smothered, and pitched them. How do I get rid of this plague like plant? What the heck IS it anyway???
:hyper:

Can you post a picture of it?

bba1.jpg

It looks like this... and I can't seem to stop it!!!

I found an article through these threads. I guess it's Red Algae. Here's the link i found: Control of Red Algae in the Freshwater Aquarium

I called some of the local stores looking for the Siamese Algae eaters. One guy, a rude fellow said, "I've been in this business 37 years and there aint no such fish!" Yoinks, I did find some at another store, at least they assured me they were Siamese and not Chinese... we'll see when I get there...

Hah! What a jerk. Hasn't he ever looked in a book?!
Anyways, yes, that is red algae or beard algae. I have some in all my aquariums, but it never gets to be a trouble. Siamese algae eaters will eat it, I also heard somewhere that rosy barbs will eat it too, but I dunno. Unfortunately, where I am, I can't find sae's very easily, we all have cae's. :/
Good luck!!
Robin

Thats some nice looking beard algea there. If mine looked that good I wouldn't even bother with an algea eater.

I've heard that Amano Shrimp or Red-Cherry Shrimp will eat it, as will Siamese Algae Eaters. You can buy any of these from here. Not to spam, but I've heard some good reviews for there, and may buy some products from them.
Sean

My, are we not the model of polite society?

I come here first with a question, then find the answer browsing this forum and say so in the very same thread. It’s so nice to have you insult me so and really shows a level of maturity and manners on your part.
:huh:

Darter02 said:

My, are we not the model of polite society?

I come here first with a question, then find the answer browsing this forum and say so in the very same thread. It’s so nice to have you insult me so and really shows a level of maturity and manners on your part.
:huh:
He's not talking about you. He's talking about the "rude fellow" you posted about who has been in the business for 37 years.

guppygirl said:
(BTW, Im a she. :) )
:*) sorry!! I just noticed - I wasn't even paying attention to the poster's name, just noticed the post. :*)

:D OOOPS! I thought you meant I was a jerk... my BAD!!!!!! :*)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back