Help! My peppered Cory has lost its barbels

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My wife just went to a friends house to find an empty fish tank, everytime Pets at Home tell him his tank is ready for more fish he loses all his livestock.......I'm considering taking them some of my 3ppm Ammonia laden water to see what they say.

As @FishBearer9845 says we're not judging you and will do our best to help you.

Just have a few questions sorry -
What temp are you keeping the tank at? What other fish are you keeping with the cories?
When did you last perform a water change and how much of the water did you change?
Thank you.

IMG_20200919_202746562.jpg

My wife just went to a friends house to find an empty fish tank, everytime Pets at Home tell him his tank is ready for more fish he loses all his livestock.......I'm considering taking them some of my 3ppm Ammonia laden water to see what they say.

As @FishBearer9845 says we're not judging you and will do our best to help you.
I understand that and am extremely grateful :) I feel so worried for him :/

The tank is at 24
Just have a few questions sorry -
What temp are you keeping the tank at? What other fish are you keeping with the cories?
When did you last perform a water change and how much of the water did you change?
Thank you.
The tank is at 24°C and at the moment the cories are with 6 neon tetra. I did a 25% water change about 8 hours ago, and it was the first water change the cories had been through

He keeps darting up to the surface, then drifting back down and landing on his side. He's also not breathing as fast as he was. Is there anything I can do?

The tank is at 24

The tank is at 24°C and at the moment the cories are with 6 neon tetra. I did a 25% water change about 8 hours ago, and it was the first water change the cories had been through
Ah right ok. Have the cories only just been added? Are you using a water conditioner?

I think that even without a water test kit, it could be safe to say that the water may not been safe enough seeing as the cories are struggling. Don't be worried about doing a larger water change than 25%, so long as you're using water conditioner to remove any chlorine, large water changes are fine and potentially very beneficial here.
Again, we don't know water parameters because of the lack of a test kit, however I personally would perform a large water change (75%) and see what reaction you get from the cory after this.
Another thing, peppered corydora like cooler water, so don't be worried about adding fresh, cooler tap water.

Cory fish do dart to the top and glide back down. They also have scatty moments and are so funny to watch

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back