Help me with my Algae please!!!

rvm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I know just about everyone has asked this before, but having done a search on old topics, every seems to recommend shrimps or otos. I don't think I've ever seen an Oto for sale near me, and I can't use shrimps cos they'll get eaten!!!
Anyway, the problem is brown algea. I have none of it in my other tank which has a common plec and 4 platies (amongst other fish, I just think it's most likely them cleaning the algae), but in my new tank, It's taking over!!!! :crazy:
I got a candy striped pleco (you may have seen the pictures!!) and the guy at the LFS said he would eat the algea, but not really aggressively. Anyway, having found out exactly what he is, it would appear that he won't really eat algae at all. I'm not bothered about that cos he is a lovely fish, but what can I get to control it?? Like i said. Can't find Otos, and my Eartheater and Rainbow Cichlids would love some shrimps for food, so dunno what to get. Would a Bristlenose clean it up???

I recently brought a bristlenose. Not had any algae since!! He go's like the clappers eating every bit he can find. Also good as they don't grow that big.

Cheers mate. I've just done a bit of reading about them, and this seems to be the case. :D
I'll go try and find one now!!!!! :D

It is so weird how you can have algae in some tanks and not in others. I have the same thing and it is the same water etc. I have found that the brown algae disapates quite abit after the tank has been up for about 8 months so it must have something to do with an inbalance. Keep removing it and disturbing it as much as possible. I wipe the tank walls with a wad of the polyester fill for filters. I found it works better that the algae scrapers and I have an extra set of plants (plastic) to switch out when I take the plants in the tank out to clean. With the real plants I just rub lightly between my thumb and forefinger and remove as much as I can. You really need some otos to. Maybe you could find some through a mail order supply house? Good luck and be patient. I know it can be extremely fustrating.

A lot of algae eaters won't eat brown algae - only green. I would suggest that you have the lights on for longer to try and get rid of the brown algae. Then if this causes green algae, the bristlenose should take care of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back