help me with ADD

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Recently, I was diagnosed with inattentive ADD. I've always slightly thought I had it, since I found out what it was, but recently it's gotten worse. I also don't want to take medication for it if there's another way to help, but no matter what way I fix it, I want to fix it. I'm a very smart girl, and i'm in the honors/AP classes at my school, but I have horrible grades. I ace all of my tests, but I literally get C's in classes because I don't want to do homework (it takes too long, there's no point). Anyways, please help me. ADHD/ADD is pretty common so I'm pretty sure there's gonna be people on here that have it. If you have ADHD/ADD please tell me what you do to fix it.

I don't have ADD, but I don't like homework... are you getting enough sleep? What's your total screen time in a day? What do you normally eat? How much water do you drink in a day?

If you have to much, or not enough, of any and all of these, it can make things much worse.

I don't have ADD, but I don't like homework... are you getting enough sleep? What's your total screen time in a day? What do you normally eat? How much water do you drink in a day?

If you have to much, or not enough, of any and all of these, it can make things much worse.
umm.... like 5-9 hours of sleep, 4 hours on my phone each day plus some time on computer, i binge-eat everything, i drink like 4 cups of water a day and alot of tea. also, not that you care but, if you want to know what my brain is like, turn on 3 songs at once, and try to focus on just one.

Recently, I was diagnosed with inattentive ADD. .... I'm a very smart girl, and i'm in the honors/AP classes at my school, but I have horrible grades. I ace all of my tests, but I literally get C's in classes because I don't want to do homework (it takes too long, there's no point).

In New York, you may qualify for an Individualized Education Program (IEP). My son got one, he was given more time for test and homework. I assume California has something similar. IEPs are great, like a golden ticket!

But you may still have to do your homework.....
EDIT: On second thought, a IEP could address the issues you have doing homework. Get an IEP

Last edited:
if you want to know what my brain is like, turn on 3 songs at once, and try to focus on just one.
I use to write software, now I am in my semi-retirement job, I drive a school bus. I love my "toasted sugar bomb" kids, I avoid using the ADD label. Yep, they are not bad kids, they just can't help it. Just too much energy after being in school all day.

Luckily I have rowdy bus, my hearing is bad so a noisy bus doesn't bother me. I do my best to contain them, keep them out of trouble.

Good luck and get an IEP

not that you care but
If I did not care, I would not have responded...

umm.... like 5-9 hours of sleep, 4 hours on my phone each day plus some time on computer, i binge-eat everything, i drink like 4 cups of water a day and alot of tea.
Your habits seem to be OK. If you spend to much time on your screen in a day, then it can start to mess with your head. I would try to drink more water in a day. You should be drinking around 1/2 gallon of water per day. I know that seems like a lot, but your body really benefits from it.

What kind of tea is it?

You can't fix ADD/ADHD, that would be like fixing depression or PTSD, it is a mental disorder. The key to managing life without meds is realizing you need to figure out your system, or get an IEP, or some other form of help. What has worked with me in the past is waking up at 4 and working out, you say you're smart so for you it could be playing chess as fast as possible or doing math competitions that require focus and speed. The homework thing is more on you honestly, I hate my homework so I try to get things done early as possible. Homework is pointless, no one likes it, but you can't use your ADD as an excuse or you will develop an unhealthy relationship with it. After a certain point your ADD (ADHD in my case) stops becoming the problem and your unwillingness to continue trying because you have something to blame it on becomes the problem. Good luck, get a system, it'll be fine.

I think my previous post came off a little tough. It's hard, you are living at a different frequency. Class probably sucks, being around people probably sucks sometimes, homework totally sucks. You have more energy and focus than a normal person, use that to hone in on what you love. Motivation will be your greatest enemy but you can't give up, because if you do, why have you been trying for so long? ADD/ADHD isn't a curse or a burden, it is an opportunity to prove your strength and fortitude. If you ever need someone to talk to send me a message on here and I'll give you my instagram. Over time you will learn to recenter and refocus, but till then don't feel bad about struggling in school, it happens to everyone, even the normal kids.

Since 95% of people diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) and ADHD (attention deficient and hyperactivity disorder) don't actually have these psychiatric problems, what makes you think you do?

---------------------
umm.... like 5-9 hours of sleep, 4 hours on my phone each day plus some time on computer, i binge-eat everything, i drink like 4 cups of water a day and a lot of tea. also, not that you care but, if you want to know what my brain is like, turn on 3 songs at once, and try to focus on just one.
Reduce your tea.
Some types of tea can calm the mind and others can stimulate it.

Reduce your screen time.
Excessive screen time (particularly before bed), can stimulate the brain and stop you sleeping properly, and in the long run it can mess with your head.

Reduce sugar and flour in your diet.
Sugar and flour cause your blood sugar to go up and are regularly linked to hyperactivity. You want to eat a balanced diet with meat and vegetables, fruits and a small amount of grains (corn, rice, wheat).

Remove artificial colours, flavors & sweeteners from your diet.
There have been hundreds of scientific studies that have shown a link between artificial colours, flavors & sweeteners and the appearance of ADD and ADHD symptoms in people, particularly younger people (under 21). Removing these things from the diet of people diagnosed with ADD and ADHD fixed 99% of cases and the child no longer had those symptoms.

Exercise for a few hours each day.
Exercise physically tires out the body so you sleep better. But it also circulates the blood around the body and stimulates various chemicals in our body, and these help stop our brain going off into la la land.

Don't use electronic devices for 3 hours before bed.
Electronic devices like computers, internet, mobile phones, all stimulate the brain and cause it to race. Having a break from these devices helps the mind settle down and lets you rest more effectively rather than thinking about whatever you did online. If possible, try to not to use mobile devices at all on several days each week.

Spend time outside in the sun (use sunscreen when necessary).
Humans evolved outside. We need sunlight to set our body clock so we wake up and go to bed at certain times. We also need blue light form sunlight to help our brains work normally. If you live in a cold climate or don't go outside much, have a daylight globe (with lots of blue light) on during the day and have a warm globe (yellow light) at night.

Get at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night.
Lack of sleep causes you to go nuts. Young people need at least 8 hours every night and most teenagers need 9-10 hours per night. Lack of sleep stops the brain from being able to process everything it has taken in that day. Lack of sleep also screws up your body and puts immense pressure on your heart and other organs.
Try to go to bed at the same time every night.

Drink about 2.5 litres of non alcoholic and non caffeinated liquid per day. No fizzy drink, no coffer, no alcohol, minimal tea (especially tea that stimulates the mind).
Drink filtered water, milk, fruit juice that is free of sugar and artificial sweetener, vegetable juice that is free of sugar or artificial sweetener.

Exercise physically tires out the body so you sleep better. But it also circulates the blood around the body and stimulates various chemicals in our body, and these help stop our brain going off into la la land.
For a person that usually doesn’t exercise, I recommend starting off easy. To much exercise can make you feel even worse. Running/jogging is a good way to clear your head, and it makes you feel better.

30 minutes each day (for a while) would be best for starters. :)

In New York, you may qualify for an Individualized Education Program (IEP). My son got one, he was given more time for test and homework. I assume California has something similar. IEPs are great, like a golden ticket!

But you may still have to do your homework.....
EDIT: On second thought, a IEP could address the issues you have doing homework. Get an IEP
There was this one kid who had an IEP and everyone made fun of him bc “he was too dumb to finish the test”. I scared of being embarrassed. I’ll think about it.

Since 95% of people diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) and ADHD (attention deficient and hyperactivity disorder) don't actually have these psychiatric problems, what makes you think you do?

---------------------

Reduce your tea.
Some types of tea can calm the mind and others can stimulate it.

Reduce your screen time.
Excessive screen time (particularly before bed), can stimulate the brain and stop you sleeping properly, and in the long run it can mess with your head.

Reduce sugar and flour in your diet.
Sugar and flour cause your blood sugar to go up and are regularly linked to hyperactivity. You want to eat a balanced diet with meat and vegetables, fruits and a small amount of grains (corn, rice, wheat).

Remove artificial colours, flavors & sweeteners from your diet.
There have been hundreds of scientific studies that have shown a link between artificial colours, flavors & sweeteners and the appearance of ADD and ADHD symptoms in people, particularly younger people (under 21). Removing these things from the diet of people diagnosed with ADD and ADHD fixed 99% of cases and the child no longer had those symptoms.

Don't use electronic devices for 3 hours before bed.
Electronic devices like computers, internet, mobile phones, all stimulate the brain and cause it to race. Having a break from these devices helps the mind settle down and lets you rest more effectively rather than thinking about whatever you did online. If possible, try to not to use mobile devices at all on several days each week.

Spend time outside in the sun (use sunscreen when necessary).
Humans evolved outside. We need sunlight to set our body clock so we wake up and go to bed at certain times. We also need blue light form sunlight to help our brains work normally. If you live in a cold climate or don't go outside much, have a daylight globe (with lots of blue light) on during the day and have a warm globe (yellow light) at night.

Get at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night.
Lack of sleep causes you to go nuts. Young people need at least 8 hours every night and most teenagers need 9-10 hours per night. Lack of sleep stops the brain from being able to process everything it has taken in that day. Lack of sleep also screws up your body and puts immense pressure on your heart and other organs.
Try to go to bed at the same time every night.

Drink about 2.5 litres of non alcoholic and non caffeinated liquid per day. No fizzy drink, no coffer, no alcohol, minimal tea (especially tea that stimulates the mind).
Drink filtered water, milk, fruit juice that is free of sugar and artificial sweetener, vegetable juice that is free of sugar or artificial sweetener.
I don’t choose to be on screens this much. normally I’m not, but with online school, practically everything is online. Also, i have Zoom. I have been trying to exercise more, but I can’t keep to it. I’ve been trying though. Practically my whole life right now is lists and routines.

There was this one kid who had an IEP and everyone made fun of him bc “he was too dumb to finish the test”. I scared of being embarrassed. I’ll think about it.
An IEP would be covered by HIPPA's privacy rules, only those who need to know would be aware of your IEP. This means a teacher could not announce to everyone that you are allowed extra time concerning your homework as an example.

This is a two step process, first they will determine if you qualify for IEP, the second is the actual plan approved by you and your parents. You do have a say concerning your IEP.

Your school can't help you if you reject an IEP because you are "scared of being embarrassed".

I drink a lot of different teas. Herbal teas, black tea (caffeine helps me focus better). Mainly I drink chai tea so black tea.
Caffeine may be stimulating your brain, making it worse. Try to stay away from the caffeine. Slowly get yourself off of it. It you get off immediately, you will have caffeine withdraws.

I used to drink caffeinated soda every other day, but now I drink maybe 1 soda a week, and it’s always non-caffeinated. I feel much better. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back