I lack the photography gene

Chickadee15 35

Fish Fanatic
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Aug 30, 2026
Messages
80
Reaction score
80
Points
18
Location
Michigan US
I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 point and shoot camera that I paid good money for. I take a lot of pet and wildlife pics and wanted good quality photos without having to learn how to use a DSLR. I've struggled with it since the day I got it. I've watched tutorials on YouTube, but it was overwhelming and I lost interest. Shouldn't a point and shoot camera be fairly automatic? My cheap cell phone and iPad take better pictures.

Here is what I'm talking about. The snails are eating a slice of yellow squash, but it looks like a glowing disk. The white rocks are glowing too. I have the same problem when I take snowy pictures outside. The snow is always so white it's glowing. I'm sure there's an adjustment for this and I'll figure it out someday. If anyone knows the trick to this, please share!
 

Attachments

  • P1010530.webp
    P1010530.webp
    226.6 KB · Views: 7
I an similar. I do not use a smart phone which takes better pics. My digicam had to be at least 1- year old. I use it in the auto mode. In the old days of film cameras I use to do B&W fil, developing and then printing in home based darkroom I set up in a bathroom. I worked mostly at night and blocked any light that might come under the door etc.

In the late 1960s I worked as an assistant in a commercial photo studio in New York City. I also worked in an large private art galler where one of my jons was to photograph the collection. They had a huge bellow camera for thay. I loaded and used sheet slide film 5x7 and 8-10 size. I was close to being a professional photographer. By 1970 I had left the photo field. I lost the skills and knowledge because I never used it again. When I got fish, cameras were digital with no film and I just used the auto setting.

Now what I do is shoot a bunch of pics and hope one will be usable. That is why so many of the tank pics I post here are so poor. I have issues with how small a digital camera is. I cannot even pick one up without accidentally pushing something I had no desire to. I hate todays tiny devices and that includes a smart phone which I do not use. However, I do know they take excellent pictures which work way better doing point and shoot than a digicam.

I had a smart phone which I got tto serve as a way to get online with a laptop when at fish events. But fortune made both devices unnecessary because I developed several customers who became large volume repeat buyers and the fish moved out with my needing the phone or three laptap. The smart phonn has been in a drawer no for over 3 years and has no charge and has not for most of the time. I tried to use it as a camera but I do not work well with touch screens. The laptop went back into service because my PC still uses Windows 10 with the addition support for which Microsoft charges.

But I have used TurboTax since it was DOS based and they required Windows 11 to work as of last year. My PC guy was able to force 11 onto the old laptop. I used it for about 1 week or 10 days last April for that and it has not been turned on since. I will use it again when I file this year's taxes in Apr, 2027. Fpr everything else I do online etc, I use Win 10. I still have my old windows 7 box which I kept as I can work the picture editing software on it. it is never used to be online. The editor can fix a lot of the bad camera pics I usually take.

If you have a snmart phone, that would be the best way to take fish related pics.

p.s. I do not use anything with a touch screen as 9/10 times I touch a screen, nothing happens. I have dry skin and having my hands in tanks a lot makes it even worse.
 
@Jennet Thanks, I've gone through the manual but was never able to figure out how to solve my particular issues from reading it. I think the white light has to do with the ISO setting. Now that I'm retired I will have more time to delve into it.

@TwoTankAmin I can relate. Unless I have my reading glasses handy, my cell phone is useless to me. I use it as little as possible. The iPad has been nice though. I hate Windows. I changed my ancient desktop computer over to Linux Mint a few years ago. Of course there's a learning curve with that too, but all in all I have far less problems such as freezing up, lagging, etc.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top