Help Me Pick Out New Fish!

hotpink143

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California
I have a 2.5 gallon that used to house my new-born Molly fry, but now I don't bother moving them out of 20 gallon. I know this is awfully small, So I was thinking one male betta? Is that even too small for him?

Then, I have two 10 gallon tanks.

In one tank, I'd like to move my 3 African Dwarf Frogs. I have Mollies in the the tank they are in now, but I'd like to make that one brackish so they'll have to be moved. I know 3 frogs will be fine in a 10 gallon, but what would be suitable tank mates for them?

And as for the 3rd 10 gallon, what would I be able to do with that? Guppies?

Please shoot me some ideas! Thanks!
 
first tank 2.5g why not go with a nice male betta.....

10g tank 3 dwarf frog's and a male betta....

3rd tank 10g a nice group of guppie's if they are what you like,maybe a couple of corydoras for the floor maybe otto's
 
Okay, definitely a male Betta for my 2.5 gallon. :)

Would anything else be an option for the ADF's? I like the Betta idea, but since I'll already have one in my 2.5 gallon, I'd like to have a variety.

I am really liking the idea of guppies for the second 10 gallon, but still open to more ideas. I looked at the Corydoras and Ottos, but I prefer more colorful fish if possible.
 
3 adf 4 or 5 platy's very colourful

not really many colourful bottom fish, what about those apple snail's.....sorry iam not much help, i don't really keep small fish..

otherwise what about 1pair of Apistogramma agassizii/or 1 pair Apistogramma bitaeniata /or 1 pair Apistogramma cacatuoides with 6 dwarf pencilfish, putting the adf with the guppy's
 
2.5 is a little too small for a betta, you probably wouldn't be able to have a heater.:( The 10 gal? Guppies are great, but make sure you don't inbreed further among their population. :)
 
Thanks for the help, everyone. I just read that Bettas should be kept ina 5 gallon tank minimum! Will anything at all work in a 2.5 gallon?
 
2.5 gallon is a difficult sized tank. Bettas imo should e kept in 3 gallon minimum provided they are alone and the tank is long rather then tall. You could keep a male Betta in it if you so wished. An ADF would live in there happily, shrimp would live in there happily (good colony of CRS or CBS would be nice). It is to small for a fully grown apple snail. You could have a small shoal of boraras brigittae or B.urophthalmoides around 4-6 or a shoal of male endlers.

Personally I would make it a dedicated shrimp tank with a little bit of driftwood and lots of moss and a small sponge filter, heater not required.
 
Yes, if you wished you could divide a 10 gal and put 2 male bettas in it. Just make sure the divider is secure. :)
 
CBS = Crystal black shrimp
CRS = Crystal red shrimp

They are both colour morphs of the same species called specifically bee shrimp, not bumblebee shrimp as some ill informed get these species confused due to the closeness of names. They are very sensitive to water quality but as shrimp produce negligible ammonia a small DIY sponge filter will be more then adequate with live plants, I have even seen these "sensitive" shrimp be kept in just planted tanks and no filter or heater but as you are a newb to inverts I would err on the side of caution. Average house temperatures will be ok for them but you will have all year round breeding if you add a 25W heater keeping temps at 22C.
 
Whoa those are cool! What kind of moss are you referring to? I tried to find Java Moss once for my fry tank and neither of the big chain stores carried it.
 
Moss's are easy to get from other forum members or people on other forums for large quantities for cheap, also sold on ebay quite often and on-line plant stores usually stock a selection.Pick a couple that you like and you should be able to track them down http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm
 
Thank you so much for your ideas!

I have an air-powered whisper with a carbon filter for the 2.5 gallon tank, will that work or must it be a sponge?

Also, how many would comfortably live there?
 
How do you mean carbon filter and can you find a picture or something to symbolise it which I may know as similar. Do you mean a activated carbon sponge, activated carbon grit, activated carbon infused ceramic media, etc. there are a lot of things which are infused with activated carbon....

Colony of 4 SS grade to start you off within 2 months you will have around 40-50 then you can start selling the off if you wish. Low starting number because CRS and CBS at high quality are expensive you will be looking at around $60-80 for that grade but then you can sell them for a similar price afterwards so it is an investment. They are easy to breed just it is rare to breed very high quality stock, most sellers in the UK can only offer A-grade but in the US you should have a bit better luck, I know of a forum where you may be able to get them for cheap if you pm me.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top