Help Me Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

drsoda007

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm buying my fishies tomorrow after 2-3 weeks of fishless cycling (haven't got test kit cause I couldn't find a good one)

Which fish should I get?

This is my plan!
x1 35 Gallon Tank
4-5 Platies
2-3 Dalmation Lyretail Mollies
2-3 Black and Silver/White Mollies (NOT Sailfins!!!)
1-2 Plecoes
4-5 Danioes
1-2 Swordtails or 5 Guppies

I will not add these all at once!!!!

Can you leave comments about the fish that I have chosen and make adjustments to the numbers/species.

Please don't leave any comments that are unrealated to the question

Thanks

BTW Hurry I'm buying tomorrow

i would say that with them fish it would be slightly overstocked as for the plec which 1? tank is 2 small for any of the common plecs so would need 1 that would stay reasonable small

as 2 not testing water personally i would say 3 weeks may not be enough time for the tank 2 cycle properly and adding that many fish at once may just be a complete disater with alot of them dieing

get a test kit API do a good 1 and then see where u are with the stats first before adding any fish :)

jen

Start with the Danios, have 5 or more. Forget the plecs completely unless they are bristlenoses or some other small species that stay under 6 inches. If you do choose guppies and don't want a population explosion of any kind, get all males.

I am quite surprised you couldn't find a test kit. Nutrafin do a basic liquid test kit for £20 ( no idea what that is in AU$)

Add the smallest fish first, such as the Danios so as not to overload your cycle , especially as it is unlikely to have finished yet. It really would be better to wait and get a test kit before adding fish so as to decrease the risk to them. Why the immense urgency?

choose guppies and don't want a population explosion of any kind, get all males.

dont totally agree with this i think no females would cause frustration and anyways if they breed then just dont put them in a breeding trap leave them be like nature intended the likely hood of alot surviving is very low anyways :)

If you don't have and won't get a test kit, get only the platies and do at least twice a week 50% water changes. After a month or so you may be able to increase your stocking slightly. It is more or less how it was done to be successful before anyone really understood what went on in an aquarium's water. After the first month, with the platies in it, the cycle will have probably progressed to the point it won't kill fish outright. At that point you could add the guppies or swords and wait a couple more weeks with 50% changes twice a week until a couple more weeks have gone by. After that you would bring the stocking up very gradually. Do not replace the fish that die during this period as they are the ones that were just too much for the way you were doing water changes.
I know this sounds brutal but it will eventually give you a cycled tank that can get 30% per week water changes without killing too many fish.

How can you not find a test kit with the internet at your finger tips? -_-

Hve you checked Aus ebay?

A lot of fish stores will test the water for you, either for free or a small fee, have you tried calling the ones around you?

Three weeks is not long enough to cycle a tank, and keeping Ammonia and Nitrites at "safe" levels (under .25 ppm) with even 5 small fish may require much more than two 50% water changes, especially if you over feed like many new fish keepers do. For example...with only 3 danios and 2 guppies I had to do water changes every day to keep my moms fish alive. That's a lot of work, and it won't be long before you'll have wished that you'd just waited out the cycle.

Next I'd like to point out that Mollies are technically brackish fish, and will generally be more prone to diseases like Ich if they are kept in freshwater tanks...especially if you have soft water. Def. consider the availability of medicines etc before going with mollies.

And the issues with plecos have already been covered! If your local stores aren't big/diverse enough to carry a test kit, they prob. don't have a big enough selection to carry smaller species of plecs.

choose guppies and don't want a population explosion of any kind, get all males.

dont totally agree with this i think no females would cause frustration and anyways if they breed then just dont put them in a breeding trap leave them be like nature intended the likely hood of alot surviving is very low anyways :)

I had all male guppies once and they fought constantly. If you do go with getting some females make sure to get more females than males. The males constantly harass the females and having more of them will lessen the stress on each one individual. Btw all of your live bearers (guppies, platties, molies, and sword tails) will reproduce very quikly. Sounds like a nice tank.

If you don't have and won't get a test kit, get only the platies and do at least twice a week 50% water changes. After a month or so you may be able to increase your stocking slightly. It is more or less how it was done to be successful before anyone really understood what went on in an aquarium's water. After the first month, with the platies in it, the cycle will have probably progressed to the point it won't kill fish outright. At that point you could add the guppies or swords and wait a couple more weeks with 50% changes twice a week until a couple more weeks have gone by. After that you would bring the stocking up very gradually. Do not replace the fish that die during this period as they are the ones that were just too much for the way you were doing water changes.
I know this sounds brutal but it will eventually give you a cycled tank that can get 30% per week water changes without killing too many fish.

Will be gettin a test kit todays

Testin water before buying fish

Will eventually get a bigger ttank

Three weeks is not long enough to cycle a tank, and keeping Ammonia and Nitrites at "safe" levels (under .25 ppm) with even 5 small fish may require much more than two 50% water changes, especially if you over feed like many new fish keepers do. For example...with only 3 danios and 2 guppies I had to do water changes every day to keep my moms fish alive. That's a lot of work, and it won't be long before you'll have wished that you'd just waited out the cycle.

Next I'd like to point out that Mollies are technically brackish fish, and will generally be more prone to diseases like Ich if they are kept in freshwater tanks...especially if you have soft water. Def. consider the availability of medicines etc before going with mollies.

And the issues with plecos have already been covered! If your local stores aren't big/diverse enough to carry a test kit, they prob. don't have a big enough selection to carry smaller species of plecs.

My tank isn't freshwater, as i was told that other livebearers would be able to handle the salt

How can you not find a test kit with the internet at your finger tips? -_-

Hve you checked Aus ebay?
I believe soda is pretty young in age, was trying to cycle with fish food if I remember correctly...

ended up 'proper' cycling wiv ammonia

(WHEN SHOULD I GET THE FISH!)

Okay so here are the things i gotta do
in no particular order-

1. Must get a plec that is a bristlenose OR under six inches
2. Put the Platies in first
3. Buy a test kit!!!
4. Slowly add the rest of the fish after the Danios/Platies

Okay so here are the question i must ask
in no particular order-

1. Which fish should be added first?
2. Is my list of fish up the top suitable?
3. Is it possible for someone to make a list of which gender the fish
should be and how many of each i should get?
4. (not a question) THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHO HAS HELPED OUT WITH ME AND MY FISH.
Look out for a new topic in Tropical Fish Discussion called 'Sophie's New Tank Part I'

Thanks Mates

(And yes, im an aussie :hyper: )

EDIT: My list of fish is [possibly]

1 Bristlenose Pleco :D
3 Guppies (1 male, 2 females) :shout:
3 Mollies (1 black, 1 white and 1 dalmation lyretail) :drool:
3-5 Platies :p

I think i got them all

HINT:
Look out for a new post in Tropical Fish Discussion called 'Sophie's Tank Part I'

Luv
Soda

answered in order of asked :)

1 , i wouldnt add fish untill cycle is finished fully but if i was 2 add fish first prob would be the danio's
2 , list looks fine other than the quantities
3 , well good ratio is 2/1 or 3/1 in favour of female i like the 3 to 1 rule myself tho :)
4 , ur welcome m8ee we are here 2 help :):):)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back