Help me identify the type of shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Panadalover93

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a few shrimp i bought form local breeder however im not sure what type they are he just told me neocardina any ideas??

Attachments

• D716D97F-A757-4163-9543-DA63136DC5C7.png
    D716D97F-A757-4163-9543-DA63136DC5C7.png
    385.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 647E8892-FA8D-4606-874D-7D4D75088B38.png
    647E8892-FA8D-4606-874D-7D4D75088B38.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 81
I dont know all too much about shrimp, but they look like they could be ghost shrimp. Don't take my word for it though, do a bit more research on ghost shrimp and neocardina shrimp to see what they look like a little more in depth.

They have these at my local garden centre, they're labelled as glass shrimp!

Shrimps in the Paleomonetes genus are also referred to as glass or ghost shrimp. That's the problem with common names, they can apply to more than one species.

Impressive, well done! 😉
I've only recently climbed aboard the shrimp bandwagon and so did a lot of research beforehand.
It's an area of fishkeeping that I'm still trying to learn more about.
My 'Amano' shrimp were bought from Pets at Home and, to be honest, mine don't appear quite as transparent as yours.

Reactions: CRS
I've only recently climbed aboard the shrimp bandwagon and so did a lot of research beforehand.
It's an area of fishkeeping that I'm still trying to learn more about.
My 'Amano' shrimp were bought from Pets at Home and, to be honest, mine don't appear quite as transparent as yours.

I don't have any shrimps yet.
I've just made a comment on a thread i made awhile back, i think you've already commented in the thread: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/photo-of-my-520l-tank.474916/page-3#post-4100133

I've got some research to do, i'm still very new to this.
Amano shrimps look cool, i hope purple is available :cool:

I don't have any shrimps yet.
I've just made a comment on a thread i made awhile back, i think you've already commented in the thread: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/photo-of-my-520l-tank.474916/page-3#post-4100133

I've got some research to do, i'm still very new to this.
Amano shrimps look cool, i hope purple is available :cool:
As far as I know, Amano Shrimp only come in Amano colour. Note that these are Caridina species.
The coloured ones are usually Neocaridina species.
Caridina won't breed with Neocaridina, but Neocaridina species will breed with each other. If you breed red ones with, say, blue ones, over time, they'll revert back to their original brown colouration in a few generations.
One breeder told me that this can happen only after several generations and there may be some interesting 'sports' born in the meantime. That said, you keep your reds pure, you need to keep them with reds.
Other shrimp well worth looking at are the Bamboo or Wood Shrimp...another distinct species and these are big and filter feedrs.
All cool! :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back