Just found this and thought it may be useful

Jennet15 72

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jul 20, 2026
Messages
285
Reaction score
389
Points
63
Location
Stourbridge, UK
Going through researching for shrimp in the UK just found this site. It told me in very straightforward terms the answers to what type of shrimp I can keep best for the water I get in the UK

If it is not acceptable to put this in here can mods please delete. Thanks. Jennet

 
HorizonAQ are a great store with very knowledgeable staff, especially in aquascaping ;). I've bought from them a number of times with no complaints. One of the best stores in the NE that I have dealt with so far.

Are you looking for shrimp vendors? If you're after Neocaridina, there is a seller based in Stoke who sells culls at low prices compared to store select shrimp. I bought 20 culls from them a couple of years back, now the numbers are above 100.
 
Horizon Aquatics is a great shop - I live not far from there :) That's where I bought my yellow neos.



In the past I've bought shrimp from eBay sellers but selling shrimp is not allowed now.
 
HorizonAQ are a great store with very knowledgeable staff, especially in aquascaping ;). I've bought from them a number of times with no complaints. One of the best stores in the NE that I have dealt with so far.

Are you looking for shrimp vendors? If you're after Neocaridina, there is a seller based in Stoke who sells culls at low prices compared to store select shrimp. I bought 20 culls from them a couple of years back, now the numbers are above 100.
K - padon my ignorance, but what are culls and what would I do with them?
 
Horizon Aquatics is a great shop - I live not far from there :) That's where I bought my yellow neos.



In the past I've bought shrimp from eBay sellers but selling shrimp is not allowed now.
That would be fair bit further for me to get to than Stoke, and I am guessing at least twice as far as Manchester without looking at a map. Am I right in thinking North East somewhwere?
 
K - padon my ignorance, but what are culls and what would I do with them?
Cull shrimp are essentially shrimp that aren't up to standard in the grading system. Shrimp breeders will only keep the best-grade shrimp in their breeding tanks and remove those that are less favourable or able to disrupt the gene pool.

Culls have no different traits or requirements. The only difference is the colour or pattern.
sgsdg.webp

This would be considered a Cull to breeders. It has no fancy colour or pattern, just a natural-looking brown shrimp.

IMG_7681.webp

These red shrimp would be more favourable, as the red form is what most people are looking for. Rather than the more natural colouration seen in the other shrimp.
 
That would be fair bit further for me to get to than Stoke, and I am guessing at least twice as far as Manchester without looking at a map. Am I right in thinking North East somewhwere?
There will very likely be a seller of shrimp in your area that you can visit in person :). It's better to view livestock in person before purchase. Just be ready for the price of shrimp that are usually stocked in stores. 💷🔥
 
I thought you didn't like shrimp? LOL are we a bad influence?

With neos the females are the colorful 1s, males much less so. At a minimum I'd start with 3-4 females & 2 males all the same color. Otherwise after a while their offspring will be a more natural brown. I never worried about RO, remineralized water, etc with my inexpensive red cherry neos, just regular water changes. Blue or yellow are pretty too. I would skip green shrimp, since you have plants, they'll be hard to see.

Do you have a fish club near you? That's a great place to get neos, they're used to your local (ish) water. Plus it's fun to "talk tanks" in person with like-minded folks sometimes. You don't have to join to buy & it might be a 1 time road trip. Maybe check out a new restaurant or lfs; or visit friends & family in the area. Also look at local groups like facebook marketplace or nextdoor we have here.

Caridina (bee shrimp) are much trickier, I only tried them once & failed. They are also much more expensive depending on type & grade. Like koi, special markings can cost big $$, not for beginners!
 
And then there are Caridina multidentata aka amano shrimp. These are a caridina but are nowhere near a sensitive as the other caridinas.

They are omnivorous and voracious alage eaters, However they need more than algae. They will also eat meat. This includes smaller fry if they can catch them, dead fish, fish food for meat eaters.

1787102010964.webp

1787102073484.webp


They are not colorful, they will not reproduce in our tanks as they need brackish water for that. They live a pretty long time, however.

Amano shrimp (Caridina multidentata) typically live 2 to 3 years on average in a home aquarium, though many hobbyists report that healthy specimens can easily reach 4 to 6 years, and occasionally up to 8 to 10+ years with exceptional care.
Mine have always lived a long time and I do nothing exceptional for them.

At one time I had what I called my AMano Wash tank. It was a 50 gallon (189L) held a lot of plants and started with 100 amanos in it. I have a lot of anubias plants which are slow growers. The closer they get to the surface, the more algae they tend to get growing them. I used to pull the plants and bleach dip them.

But with the Amano Wash tank I would swap out an algae covered anubias for a clean one. Then I bothered to see how long it tokk for the shrimp to clean a plant after I put it into their tank. It tuened out they swarmed it and I was able to take out a completed cleaned plant in 3 or 4 hours. So I stopped doing the swap and just did a few hour turnaround.

Ultimately, I had to move the 50 out of where I had it. So, I repurosed it as a normal tank and spread the shrimp into several of my other planted tanks. I still have amanos in several of my tanks some of which I have had for over 5 years now. I used to get a box of 100 as imports and then the main shrimp famrs in Asia suffered big floods and were wiped out.

Amanos are great but not for breeding tanks where there will be tiny fry, espcecially ifd they are bottom dwellinf fish. Also, amanos are seen as food for many bigger fish. Loaches, for one, love them for dinner or lunch or breakfast for that matter. One thing I was taught about amanos was when you see them madly dashing around the tank it means they are hungry and need to be fed. So I throw in some shrimp food for them.

Here is info fronm the Shrimp Farm on the parameters for them:

General Water ParametersThe Shrimp Farm’s Water Parameters:
Range: 6.5-8.0PH Range: 7.0-7.4
Temperature Range: 70-80 °FTemperature Range: 69-73 °F
GH Range: 5-15GH Range: 7-8
KH Range: 1-10KH Range:
TDS Range: 80-450TDS Range: 175-200
My water basically a neutral pH (about 7.0)
My tank temps where I have amanos are usually in the 78 - 82F range
My water is soft- GH 5 or less and KH is 3 or less. TDS are about 83 but can range from 53 to 115 depending on rainfall levels over the past weeks/months.

I also have cherry red and blue dream Neocaridina davidi. Both of these multiply for me and for the past 1.5 years have been brinning 20-30 blue dreams to my monthly fish club meeting for the auction. I recently sold 50 blue dream and 25 red cherry to one buyer. I stll have a ton left.

1787104507465.webp


(eidited to fix all the typos in the first line, UGH!)
 
Last edited:
Huh, I never realized Amanos were also caridina. 1 of those species if I don't keep, I don't look up. I am jealous of your blue dream neos, so pretty!
 
That would be fair bit further for me to get to than Stoke, and I am guessing at least twice as far as Manchester without looking at a map. Am I right in thinking North East somewhwere?
Horizon Aquatics is in Newton Aycliffe in County Durham so yes, quite a bit further north than you I'm afraid.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top