Help identifying gourami please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TheHuuj

Reaction score
I recently purchased two gourami for our tank, one was supposed to be a female honey and the other a male sunset honey. Iā€™m thinking I may have ended up with a female honey and a male thick lip. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DFB8C62B-1953-4672-B068-6AC929D32F33.jpeg
    DFB8C62B-1953-4672-B068-6AC929D32F33.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 100
  • F4C8344F-55CB-4A18-A4EB-C91289D384C4.jpeg
    F4C8344F-55CB-4A18-A4EB-C91289D384C4.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 107
Yep, first is a thick lipped gourami, or rather, it is a hybrid between the two mentioned species. Second is an actual honey. Sunset honeys are usually thick lipped gourami or hybrids. As are red honeys.

Yep, first is a thick lipped gourami, or rather, it is a hybrid between the two mentioned species. Second is an actual honey. Sunset honeys are usually thick lipped gourami or hybrids. As are red honeys.

Thank you so much!

Will they be ok in the tank together? So far they seem totally fine and appear to be cohabitating really well.

Thank you so much!

Will they be ok in the tank together? So far they seem totally fine and appear to be cohabitating really well.

Also, as a hybrid, do you think he will reach full thick lip size? I chose honey gourami because of their smaller size.

I kept a group of each together and they did fine. Not singles though. The thick lipped part of the sunset enables them to grow bigger than actual honeys, and a bit more aggressive too.

I kept a group of each together and they did fine. Not singles though. The thick lipped part of the sunset enables them to grow bigger than actual honeys, and a bit more aggressive too.

Ok thanks for the information. Final question, any thoughts on gender? I'm 95% sure the honey is a female. The hybrid was sold as a male, I'm like 80% sure on that.

Yes looks like a pair.

Ok thanks for the information. Final question, any thoughts on gender? I'm 95% sure the honey is a female. The hybrid was sold as a male, I'm like 80% sure on that.
Those sexes are right

Yeah, they may. The original honey and thick lipped gourami would paired together in order to produce this male. So I could certainly see them being interested in one another.

Thanks for all the help everyone! The fish are healthy and getting along so well that the male is currently constructing a bubble nest. Not what I intended but here we are.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back