FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

g.de_Miguel

Reaction score
I have a low tech aquarium with Japanese Blue & Gold double sword guppies and shrimp that have been doing fantastic. My shrimp in other aquariums have been thriving because I feed blood worms to the fish so they eat them as well. Today I decided to feed my shrimp in the guppy tank some blood worms while the guppies ate dried flakes. Of course the guppies ended up eating some blood worms too. Now my favorite male is swimming erratically and is constantly swimming in a vertical position with his head upwards. I'm assuming it is swim bladder disease, but he's not floating or laying on the aquarium floor. He still swims all around the tank, but if not in a vertical position his movements look as if he is swimming against a current. Can this fix itself on its own? Or do I need to isolate him and feed him peas? There is no ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites in the water and the PH has been consistantly 7.4
20200628_122442.gif
20200628_122351.gif

First, you have posted this in the wrong forum/section. No nitrates indicates that your tank is not cycled. These are endler guppies, not "sword" guppies for sure. Is it a pothos plant there?
@essjay @Fishmanic , this thread is in the wrong section.

@Colin_T do you know what is wrong with the guppy?

I think the fish may be seeing his reflection and is doing a mating dance

I'm not sure what's wrong with the guppy this thread is about and I hope he gets better but how many males and females do you have? I noticed in your video that there was 1 female and 3 males. The typical rule of thumb for livebearers is to have 2 or 3 females to every male or the males can stress the females too much. Also, what size is your tank?

First, you have posted this in the wrong forum/section. No nitrates indicates that your tank is not cycled. These are endler guppies, not "sword" guppies for sure. Is it a pothos plant there?
@essjay @Fishmanic , this thread is in the wrong section.

@Colin_T do you know what is wrong with the guppy?
They're definitely pathos plants . The guppy is acting normal again. I'm not sure what happened. I've never posted on a forum ever in my life so I don't know how or where I was supposed to post this. To be honest I don't know how to respond to each of you individually. Thanks for responding though it means a lot. The fish were sold to me as double sword, but maybe I'm wrong. I just wanted pretty guppies to match the yellow and blue shrimp and that I could breed in a simple set up. So far so good.
20200628_140320.gif

Sorry about the image quality, they are really an attractive fish and aquarium, the image really dropped in quality in this gif

I'm not sure what's wrong with the guppy this thread is about and I hope he gets better but how many males and females do you have? I noticed in your video that there was 1 female and 3 males. The typical rule of thumb for livebearers is to have 2 or 3 females to every male or the males can stress the females too much. Also, what size is your tank?
There are 3 males and 3 females, plus 5 fry I wasn't able to remove, but survived. I want to say this aquarium is a 6 gallon. I know its more than 5 and less than 10, it's slightly an odd size. There's also 1 snail and no more than like 12 shrimp. I won't be keeping all these fish in it, but when I ordered the 3 pairs this was the set up I could house them in and they've been doing very well and breeding.

I can assure you these are endler guppies, there are no double sword or sword guppies. I'm sure the guppy is alright and he was just displaying like @Fishmanic said.
There are 3 males and 3 females, plus 5 fry I wasn't able to remove, but survived. I want to say this aquarium is a 6 gallon. I know its more than 5 and less than 10, it's slightly an odd size. There's also 1 snail and no more than like 12 shrimp. I won't be keeping all these fish in it, but when I ordered the 3 pairs this was the set up I could house them in and they've been doing very well and breeding.
Males will haunt your females and exhaust them. Ratio is 1 male to 3 females, since you like them so much I'd suggest you upgrading the tank to 10 gallons and getting 6 more females :)

Does the fish sink to the bottom when it stops swimming?
If it does, then it has a problem with its swim bladder and there is no cure and the fish eventually die.

Does the fish sink to the bottom when it stops swimming?
If it does, then it has a problem with its swim bladder and there is no cure and the fish eventually die.
No, it doesn't look like the guppy is sinking to the bottom when it stops swimming..

There is actually double sword guppies. Never heard of them but just googled and these little guys came up. 0 nitrates doesn’t always mean not cycled, if you have a planted tank it’s pretty normal to have 0 nitrates. Mine always sits on 0 but I also have a well planted tank. I’m not sure how thirsty those plants are as I’m not experienced with them but this could be the reason for the 0 nitrates

They're definitely pathos plants . The guppy is acting normal again. I'm not sure what happened. I've never posted on a forum ever in my life so I don't know how or where I was supposed to post this. To be honest I don't know how to respond to each of you individually. Thanks for responding though it means a lot. The fish were sold to me as double sword, but maybe I'm wrong. I just wanted pretty guppies to match the yellow and blue shrimp and that I could breed in a simple set up. So far so good. View attachment 108420
Sorry about the image quality, they are really an attractive fish and aquarium, the image really dropped in quality in this gif

Oh and welcome to the forum hun

There is actually double sword guppies. Never heard of them but just googled and these little guys came up. 0 nitrates doesn’t always mean not cycled, if you have a planted tank it’s pretty normal to have 0 nitrates. Mine always sits on 0 but I also have a well planted tank. I’m not sure how thirsty those plants are as I’m not experienced with them but this could be the reason for the 0 nitrates
Yeah what I have are double sword guppies, they just had more fry today. I never seen them before I bought them. I needed something easy to keep for this aquarium, and these look more exotic than guppies I'm used to seeing.

I definitely have double sword guppies. I never heard of them before I bought. They just had more fry yesterday. I wanted something attractive, but easy to keep for this aquarium. These look more exotic than regular guppies.
Screenshot_20200701-083420_Video Player.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and the response.

I definitely have double sword guppies. I never heard of them before I bought. They just had more fry yesterday. I wanted something attractive, but easy to keep for this aquarium. These look more exotic than regular guppies. View attachment 108707
Thanks for the welcome and the response.

they are beautiful

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back