Help I Cant Lower My Ammonia Levels!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I can't speak for other websites, but on this forum we have quite a few people who genuinely want to help others. Sometimes a bit of bad advice does get though, but this is a discussion forum so given time someone who does know will chime in and give good advice. I know when I first joined this forum I thought things were true that were myths, but the kind people here have helped me grow into a much better fish keeper. It's only right that in turn I give back to the community that helped me.

Thanks, I am overwhelmed with the kind support on this forum...so thanks...it is a big learning curve but I have got so into fish now I cant believe how sweet they are and i cant wait to get this sorted and get myself a bigger tank...i dont have much room here but i was looking at a BiOrb 60 litre tank so I would probably just keep my wee tank for emergencies as it is too small really

Keeping things simple, whenever you get a reading of 0.25mg/l ammonia or nitrite, it is time for an emergency water change...

After letting the heater cool down after being turned off for 10-15mins, you need to remove ~95% of the tank water, leaving just enough to cover the fish on the tank floor.

Seachem Prime is a great dechlorinator, you can overdose upto 5x the standard dose to temporarily soak up ammonia and nitrite for upto 24 hours. Personally, in your situation, I would add the 5x standard dose (so 2.5ml for the 20l tank) to the fish-safe bucket you are using to make similar temp fresh water for your fish.

Add the new water nice and slowly, it will let the fish adjust to any temp differences and stop them getting a "machine machine" feeling in the tank.

If you feel it is easier, you could syphon some of their current water into a fish-safe bucket (no more than half full) and net the fish into the bucket (using a towel to darken the bucket and stop anyone jumping out), to get them out of the way while you do this emergency change. If you go down this route, you will need to acclimitise the fish to the fresh tank water, as if just brought home, ideally using the airline tubing drip method (or alternatively add half a cup every ~10 mins until the bucket is nearly full).

Good luck!

Hey, a wee update...i just tested the water before going to bed and ammonia and nitrite both at 0. I will re-check as usual again first thing...thanks for the advice...much much appreciated!!!

Fish are relaxing. After you change their water, feed them, clean the tank, clean the filter, test the water...... lol :) Be patient, you'll get there!

Hey, i tested the water before going to bed and ammonia and nitrite both at 0. Phew and breathe....
Thanks again for advice...much appreciated!!

I know the tank is tiny i would only get another 2 wee guys once the tank has cycled. I have been looking for a bigger tank but I need to get this one sorted first.

i started with a 20LT then upgraded, the only thing with doing that was the filter was built into the lid on my 20lt and so i had to buy a new filter and start from scratch again :rolleyes:

Hey, i tetsted the water before going to bed...ammonia and nitrite at 0. Phew and breathe...thanks again for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!1

15.07.12 Update

Tested water and i think my tank is cycling??

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0 - 0.25
Nitites 0.25
NitrAtes 20 ppm

What should i do about water changes now, just 10% everyday to reduce the ammonia and nitrites down.

Should i still be adding Prime to my new tank water?

Im happy but worried i will do the wrong thing!!

Help please!

I know the tank is tiny i would only get another 2 wee guys once the tank has cycled. I have been looking for a bigger tank but I need to get this one sorted first.

i started with a 20LT then upgraded, the only thing with doing that was the filter was built into the lid on my 20lt and so i had to buy a new filter and start from scratch again :rolleyes:

Hey, i tetsted the water before going to bed...ammonia and nitrite at 0. Phew and breathe...thanks again for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!1

15.07.12 Update

Tested water and i think my tank is cycling??

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0 - 0.25
Nitites 0.25
NitrAtes 20 ppm

What should i do about water changes now, just 10% everyday to reduce the ammonia and nitrites down.

Should i still be adding Prime to my new tank water?

Im happy but worried i will do the wrong thing!!

Help please!

Keep adding Prime. It's primarily a dechlorinator that will deal with both Chlorine and Chloramine. And your tap water contains one or the other and both are toxic for fish. Plus if your water does contain Chloramine then the Prime will bind the ammonia into a less toxic form for 24 hours so the biological filter can take care of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back