Help! Discus not eating,hiding and ball hanging out of anus - unsure if prolapse or disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

NatCardiff88

Reaction score
Hi There

Please can someone help and advise to treatment with my one discus. Sheā€™s been hiding and not eating tried using entice but no joy. She hasnā€™t showed any symptoms but now has a ball hanging out of anus. I want to treat straightway but unsure if this is a prolapse, hexamita or worms? Any thoughts? Has anyone seen this before? Iā€™m debating removing her from tank and giving an Epsom bath if prolapse but worried it might be too stressful.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2397.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2399.jpeg
    IMG_2399.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 22
I can't tell anything from the pictures.

Epsom salts doesn't do anything for a prolapse intestine sticking out the butt.

If it's not eating it could have an internal bacterial or protozoan infection. Discus that get fed a lot of meat based foods regularly get internal infections and need Metronidazole to treat them. If you're in the UK then you will need a vet prescription for that medication.

You have lots of plants in the tank and that is good because the discus will graze on them.

Intestinal worms don't cause fish to stop eating.

Moving a fish with a prolapse intestine is risky and can harm or kill the fish. If you have to move it, scoop it up in a container of water so it doesn't get exposed to the air and isn't lifted up in a net. Lifting the fish with a net can scratch or damage the intestine and lead to infection and pain.

You can try live brineshrimp.

If it's a prolapse intestine it's a matter of cross your fingers and hope it goes back in by itself.

It's an extremely thin Discus. I think it's a prolapse, and I'm afraid Colin's treatment is what I see too - hope for some luck because there's little you can do.

Hi both

Iā€™ve woken up this morning itā€™s gone back in but sheā€™s not doing well is at surface looks dark, Iā€™ve moved her to a temp fish hospital as Colin suggested with jug (even though I canā€™t see prolapse anymore) sheā€™s quite lifeless. Do you think maybe a hexamita treatment would help? As a last resort?

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 13
It would be treating a different problem while the fish is in dire condition. I wouldn't do it.

@Colin_T , do you know if the ingredients of Interpet anti internal bacteria has metrodizanole?

It says:
Say "hello" to healthy fish and "goodbye" to the expense and inconvenience of getting a vets prescription. Anti Internal Bacteria is a breakthrough non-prescription product.

My local aquarium store doesnā€™t have it they ntl labs because Iā€™ve used it in the past unsure šŸ«¤ if it has metrodizonle? I do have a bacterial treatment in house but donā€™t know if it would be any good? Iā€™ve sent pictures to my aquarium store and spoke on the phone they think itā€™s too far gone šŸ˜­

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 6
Also fish is now very slimy is still breathing šŸ˜¢ I feel so bad I just donā€™t know what to do for the best

I was clutching at straws I guess, if you trust your fish store then put it out of its misery šŸ˜¢

He died 5 minutes after my last post šŸ˜­ I should have euthanised him really I feel bad but we get the urge to want to save them no matter what donā€™t we. Thank you šŸ™šŸ» all for your help

@Colin_T , do you know if the ingredients of Interpet anti internal bacteria has metrodizanole?

It says:
Say "hello" to healthy fish and "goodbye" to the expense and inconvenience of getting a vets prescription. Anti Internal Bacteria is a breakthrough non-prescription product.
I would say no it doesn't have Metronidazole in because you need a prescription for that in the UK. The website doesn't say what the ingredients are and they are not listed on the web when I Google search the product and ingredients. It could contain absolutely anything.

Yeah didnā€™t think it did you canā€™t get them anywhere in uk other than exotic vet which arenā€™t easy to find either

Pets at Home has images of the box on its website. Assuming it's up to date, this is what it shows:

bottle.jpg

composition.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back