HELP! betta's fins are struggling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lotrfish

Reaction score
Hi TFF friends!

My poor betta Lupin (who I've had for around 2 years) has had a history of fin rot. I'd guess he's had it maybe four or so times in the past. His water is kept clean and he has only live plants and rocks in his tank (nothing sharp or fake). My other bettas (Fawkes and Norbert - guess the theme??) have never gotten fin rot. Lupin is more anxious fish, so I try to keep his stress level low. Right now, he's in a ~2.5 gallon tank, treated with salt and a few drops of BettaFix. He has both a water filter and heater. My neighbor was just watching him for the past week, and I had to move him out of his normal tank, so he's been pretty stressed out. His fins are ragged and yesterday there was blood on his lower fin. What can I do to help my poor Lupin?? I've been giving him daily partial water changes and keeping his stress level low, but he's not getting better. Please help!!

~A concerned fish mom

Is the tank heated? If not, then adding a heater would help Lupin feel more comfortable since bettas are used to water temperatures in the 78-82F range. Another option would be to lower the flow of the filter so that water current in the tank isn't too strong. The small daily partial water changes are good.

Hi! If clean water and salt isn’t doing the trick then it may be bacterial. I had the same issue and finally had to use Furan-2. How large is his regular tank and does he live alone? 2.5 gallons is really too small for a betta.

His regular tank is about 3 gallons. I really want to upgrade all of my bettas into 5 gallons, but I'm struggling right now to find affordable, reliable, and attractive tanks for them! Any suggestions??

Lupin lives alone. I'm hoping he'll start to mend soon or I will try something along the lines of Furan-2. Thank you for your response.

His regular tank is about 3 gallons. I really want to upgrade all of my bettas into 5 gallons, but I'm struggling right now to find affordable, reliable, and attractive tanks for them! Any suggestions??

Lupin lives alone. I'm hoping he'll start to mend soon or I will try something along the lines of Furan-2. Thank you for your response.
If you live in the States, Walmart has the best deal on a 5G starter kit. Comes with tank, lid, LED lights and filter for about $28. I have several and so do some of the other members on here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back