FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

scaraluck

Reaction score
My king betta, oneday, is about 2.5-3 inches long. About a week ago (i know i procrastinated this) I noticed he was floating to the top. buoyancy was a slight problem. i fasted him and it seemed to get slightly better. Now? It seems like heā€™s not getting better. He may be getting worse. I medicated him for his fin rot, but I didnā€™t see BIG improvements. (I treated him with Maracyn 1.) I hope you get the picture. I hope he recovers. please help me! I still have Maracyn 1 and I also purchased aquarium salt. I have a 2.5 UNCYCLED hospital tank! It has a sponge filter and a fizz airstone. The temp will be staying at like 76-78 degrees f.

Could we see some pictures of the betta and tank? We also need to know the water parameters, tankmates, and size of tank.

Could we see some pictures of the betta and tank? We also need to know the water parameters, tankmates, and size of tank.
13384810-E5C9-4003-8424-C9FE7C29657C.jpeg

This is him. as you see, his fins are clamped. Heā€™s just not doing the best. Appetite is about the same. So, water parameters? I canā€™t give you them right now but last time i checked the ammonia was at 0.5 and i did a water change. the beneficial bacteria are all out whack. Iā€™m switching him to a 15 gallon soon, so thatā€™s why I didnā€™t bother to mention his 5 gallon that heā€™s in now. No tankmates. sponge filter. heated to 78

This is him. as you see, his fins are clamped. Heā€™s just not doing the best. Appetite is about the same. So, water parameters? I canā€™t give you them right now but last time i checked the ammonia was at 0.5 and i did a water change. the beneficial bacteria are all out whack. Iā€™m switching him to a 15 gallon soon, so thatā€™s why I didnā€™t bother to mention his 5 gallon that heā€™s in now. No tankmates. sponge filter. heated to 78
Also, the hospital tank will obviously be everything 0 at first because nothing has ever been in it.

have you got pictures of him from before he got sick?

can you post video of him?
upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

There should be no ammonia. Do a 75% water change, but don't clean the gravel. Don't clean the filter. Add dechlorinated water back in slowly. See how he does.

And also do not treat him with any more medication.

There should be no ammonia. Do a 75% water change, but don't clean the gravel. Don't clean the filter. Add dechlorinated water back in slowly. See how he does.

And also do not treat him with any more medication.
i already did a 75% water change, and so thatā€™s whatā€™s worrying me. if itā€™s a bacterial infection, iā€™m worried that if i donā€™t treat now, itā€™ll progress into a no-return case. i havenā€™t treated the full 5 days of maracyn. just one dose and one dose of ich x. so honestly i donā€™t know what else to doā€¦ i can change him over to the 15 gallon too?ā€¦. and just keep up there? his filter is uncycled and i just got this fish from my mothers room. i know nothing ab fish but iā€™m trying to save him as best as i can. i have no idea what was in his tank tbh. thank you for your help by the way!!!

Ok. (sorry for leaving, I had to go to bed)

Do you have any live plants?
Can I have a picture of the 15gal and the current tank?

I would suggest getting some gravel into the 15gal, and the putting some live plants into there if you can. I would suggest Dwarf Hygrophila, but get something hardy, at least.
Squeeze the current filter sponge into the water in the 15gal. This will help get it started. Then put the filter back in the 5gal. (also, I presume you have a filter and heater for the 15gal? Also add in some water lettuce if you can get your hands on any. Or any floating plant (except duckweed)
Leave the 15gal for a day.

When you are going to move him over, instead, get a bucket (that has never had any chemicals in) and put the recommended amount of aquarium salt and water in there (the water should be from the 5gal) and put him in there for 10-15 minutes. Then put him into the 15gal.

At this point the 15gal should have:

• A filter (could you tell me what type) that's current isn't to strong.
  • A heater (set to 78f)
  • Gravel for the plants (has to be quite fine but if you can't get your hands on it just use what you have)
  • Live plants (something green and hardy)
  • Floating plants (water lettuce preferably)
  • A light (for the plants)

Then do a water test (if possible) of the 15gal.
If there is no ammonia, then move him over.

Try feeding him some live or frozen daphnia from a fish store (live is best) as this does not cause bloating at all. Also try some mashed up peas, as this helps congestion.

I hope this helps!

(Also, if you can, get some beneficial bacteria to help jump-start the tank. The plants will also help with this)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back