What's new

Hello

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

beatking

Reaction score
I am a new returning tropical fish hobbyist. I started in 1988 and continued until 1992 when I relocated and was busy raising a family. Now, recently retired and once again living in Florida, I have started up this wonderful hobby i grew to love. Wish me luck. I am starting with a 29 gallon tank and am planning on doing everything correct this time around, lol. Thanks for accepting me
sincerely
Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum :)

First thing to do is contact your water supply company and find out what the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water is. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

--------------------
After that, read up on cycling an aquarium. Good luck :)

Hi and welcome to TFF, Steve... :hi:
And welcome back to the hobby... 👍

Welcome to the forum!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back