Hello

Graeme-64

Reaction score
Hello all I have just joined the fourm and new to fourms I am wanting to start keeping and breeding Killifish and was hoping for some advice on what size tanks I would need for keeping and breeding and what fish are the best to start off with etc. I am working with a blank canvas but only have a small space availble at present I have 1 community tank and 4 20x12x10 breeding tanks for guppies which I have been doing for some time now, having just retired and more time on my hands I am looking for a new challange I the pictures I have seen of killis has got me interested in this specis.
Regards Graeme

Hi Graham,
And welcome firstly to the forum and also the wonderful world of Killifish.
I have been keeping and breeding killis for as long as I can remember now and it's hard to give someone an idea of what constitutes a beginners or novice species.
I personally would recommend Epiplaty dageti Monroviae, It's gotta be one of the easiest and forgiving killifish out there.
But there is one draw back...they are not nearly colourful enough for the novice looking to get started in this niche side of the hobby.
So let me suggest Fundulopanchax gardneri species. There are many collections of this species and an overview can be found HERE
I like to give my killis a little more room so for a trio of GAR I would give them a tank of around 18x10x10.
Dont forget killifish jump and will escape the confines of their aquarium quite easily so a very tight fitting cover-glass / hood is essential.
If you have any more questions dont be frightened to ask, that's what we're here for.
Regards
BigC

Hello BigC

Thanks for the info time to start measuring etc is there any books on killifish you would recomend
Graeme

There are many books on Killifish, but most are technical.
I suppose the best one for a novice would be Killifish: A complete Pet owners manual by Stephen Helner
this may be hard to find and sometimes it can be at an inflated price. With some digging you should be able to un-earth a copy.
There is also Success with Killifish -by Edward Warner. Ed has long since passed away but I think you can still order copies from his wife Ruth.
http://www.killiesbyruth.com/eds-book/

There are three books on killifish (quite expensive) in the Aqualog series. These are good from a pictorial standpoint and identification.

A South African enthusiast has also published an E-Book which is available free
http://tgenade.freeshell.org/killibook/keepingkillifish.pdf

I hope that helps you somewhat
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

Back