Hello, I want to check if my tank is compatible for oscar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sikish

Reaction score
The tank is 165x33x50 (cm) WxHxD, the problem is the aquarium isn't too high.
Is 33 cm enough height for adult oscar?
I'm planning to keep 3 oscars since the tank is a good width and depth, To note that I've been in fishkeeping hobby for long and I have no problems in water quality I do once or twice a week 50% w/c and daily filtration maintenance and everything is stable in my other tanks and pond so I'm sure of the consistency of water params.
And If any aggression when adults occur I can rehouse any fish into my asian arowana tank.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I do not consider this tank sufficient height for Oscars. Aside from the height, considering just the length (165 cm) and width (50 cm) you could manage one Oscar or a mated pair but not more. In other words, to ensure I am being understood, even a higher tank with the base dimensions given is insufficient for three Oscars.

Thank you for your respone,
So this tank won't be good for even 1 oscar because of its height? It's 33 cm water only without glass thickness.

The single biggest strike against this setup if it were my tank would be the water change schedule needed to keep the nitrate below the recommended minimum of 20ppm
Personally, if it were my tank, I would keep nitrate below the epa maximum of 10 ppm for drinking water.
I figure if it's not fit to drink, it's not fit for fish to be living and breathing in it.

Thank you for your respone,
So this tank won't be good for even 1 oscar because of its height? It's 33 cm water only without glass thickness.

I know one sees videos online of fish in such environments, but it is not good for the fish to be in such cramped quarters. If we care for the health and well-being of our fish, as I hope we all do, then we must not force them into such conditions. Think of the poor Oscars having to constantly deal with one another in a very confined space. A Betta can "survive" in a cup of water, but that is not thriving or healthy long term.

Jeremy raised the nitrate issue, and is correct. We now know that cichlids are particularly sensitive to nitrate, and levels should be kept as low as possible. That is certainly easier to achieve/maintain in larger volume tanks.

The single biggest strike against this setup if it were my tank would be the water change schedule needed to keep the nitrate below the recommended minimum of 20ppm
Personally, if it were my tank, I would keep nitrate below the epa maximum of 10 ppm for drinking water.
I figure if it's not fit to drink, it's not fit for fish to be living and breathing in it.

I have no problem with water changes I made it an easy habit and the tank is already been running for 2 years and well matured, I was putting in some fancy goldfish and some random fish over the course, and I have a good filtration for it, it's always crystal clear and If i find elsewhere I immediatly do something about it. My only concern is the height of the tank is enough for oscar.

I know one sees videos online of fish in such environments, but it is not good for the fish to be in such cramped quarters. If we care for the health and well-being of our fish, as I hope we all do, then we must not force them into such conditions. Think of the poor Oscars having to constantly deal with one another in a very confined space. A Betta can "survive" in a cup of water, but that is not thriving or healthy long term.

Jeremy raised the nitrate issue, and is correct. We now know that cichlids are particularly sensitive to nitrate, and levels should be kept as low as possible. That is certainly easier to achieve/maintain in larger volume tanks.
If I wasn't understood before, I can take off my mind getting more than one oscar to put alone in this aquarium, but is it fine to put one oscar by itself?

I have no problem with water changes I made it an easy habit and the tank is already been running for 2 years and well matured, I was putting in some fancy goldfish and some random fish over the course, and I have a good filtration for it, it's always crystal clear and If i find elsewhere I immediatly do something about it. My only concern is the height of the tank is enough for oscar.

A couple things to mention. And I am not criticizing you, just pointing out something that others may not realize from this.

Clarity of water is not the same as clean. Water in an aquarium can be crystal clear but deadly to fish, and vice versa.

Filtration is not the only issue, as there are substances released by fish that cannot be removed by any amount of filtration, and water deterioration in most cases cannot be corrected by filters. The myth one often sees about larger filters or several filters is just that...myth. Any filter, provided it is adequate for the tank size/volume, will do the best job it can. Adding more filters or larger filters does not benefit beyond this. Overstocking the tank cannot be compensated for by the filter(s).

Water changes are the best maintenance, certainly, but if it becomes necessary to change the water more often than once a week (with a good 50-75% change, depending), the tank has problems. Nitrates should remain thee same from water change to water change; if they rise in between, there is a problem.

A couple things to mention. And I am not criticizing you, just pointing out something that others may not realize from this.

Clarity of water is not the same as clean. Water in an aquarium can be crystal clear but deadly to fish, and vice versa.

Filtration is not the only issue, as there are substances released by fish that cannot be removed by any amount of filtration, and water deterioration in most cases cannot be corrected by filters. The myth one often sees about larger filters or several filters is just that...myth. Any filter, provided it is adequate for the tank size/volume, will do the best job it can. Adding more filters or larger filters does not benefit beyond this. Overstocking the tank cannot be compensated for by the filter(s).

Water changes are the best maintenance, certainly, but if it becomes necessary to change the water more often than once a week (with a good 50-75% change, depending), the tank has problems. Nitrates should remain thee same from water change to water change; if they rise in between, there is a problem.

Can i get a straight answer to my question without lectures! Or if you don't have an answer or aren't reeding what I'm saying just stop replying, I never torture or put my fish in risk and my water is stable and i do twice a week w/c as i said first. Please stop assuming that you're knowledgeable and others aren't. And what overstock are you talking about, since it's the third time that i say what about ONE oscar. (NOT THREE).

One Oscar would be doable, I would think .
And unless I am mistaken Byron answered that a single Oscar would work, or a mated (no blind dates, lol!) pair.

One Oscar would be doable, I would think .
And unless I am mistaken Byron answered that a single Oscar would work, or a mated (no blind dates, lol!) pair.

I do not recommend Oscars in this shallow a tank, but I admit they might manage. But a water depth stated to be not including the glass presumably means no substrate, and that is another issue; fish must have a substrate because the prime bacterial action in an aquarium occurs in the substrate, not in the filter(s), and no substrate is just adding more issues and problems.

Okay I will try to get a juvenile oscars and will see what happens. This won't be my last tank so rehousing is always an option :thanks:

Can i get a straight answer to my question without lectures! Or if you don't have an answer or aren't reeding what I'm saying just stop replying, I never torture or put my fish in risk and my water is stable and i do twice a week w/c as i said first. Please stop assuming that you're knowledgeable and others aren't. And what overstock are you talking about, since it's the third time that i say what about ONE oscar. (NOT THREE).

You need to bear in mind that I (and other members) have no idea as to your level of knowledge. So when I see something that can or may be misunderstood by others who may have even less knowledge, it is only right to point it out so we all benefit. If you read my first paragraph in post #8 you should see that I stated I was only commenting generally on aspects and not criticizing you or your maintenance; inferences could be drawn by others, and they would be incorrect.

I have no idea as to your present maintenance as you have not given us any data, but regardless, the question asked involved three Oscars in a tank that is certainly not large enough, and I went from that starting point.

I do not recommend Oscars in this shallow a tank, but I admit they might manage. But a water depth stated to be not including the glass presumably means no substrate, and that is another issue; fish must have a substrate because the prime bacterial action in an aquarium occurs in the substrate, not in the filter(s), and no substrate is just adding more issues and problems.
Oops, did not register with me at first with the height being under a foot after gravel, etc, I am used to Imperial units.
Judging by the way my tank ended up, if it is a framed tank then the uncovered glass between the top and bottom frame will be much closer to the actual depth useable by the fish.

Oops, did not register with me at first with the height being under a foot after gravel, etc, I am used to Imperial units.
Judging by the way my tank ended up, if it is a framed tank then the uncovered glass between the top and bottom frame will be much closer to the actual depth useable by the fish.
Height from gravel to top is 32 cm, gravel is too thin. Anw i just needed an answer if it's a terrible height or it's fine. Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back