Hello from Wyoming! I have had my tank for a little over a year now and I enjoy it immensely!

Tammyjoe

Reaction score

Good afternoon y'all! I seem to have a dilemma that I am hoping you can help me with! I have a 30 gal. tank with an assortment of fishies. Fri I did a routine water change, added some aqua safe per directions. Later added some salt. Now my guppy and my molly act really stressed all the time! I don't know what else I can do? Ph level is good as well

Picture?

Also, by “fishies” what specific species are you talking about?

Please include a picture of the guppies, and a list of their tank mates, and water conditions. :)

Good afternoon y'all! I seem to have a dilemma that I am hoping you can help me with! I have a 30 gal. tank with an assortment of fishies. Fri I did a routine water change, added some aqua safe per directions. Later added some salt. Now my guppy and my molly act really stressed all the time! I don't know what else I can do? Ph level is good as well
How much salt did you use?

Picture?

Also, by “fishies” what specific species are you talking about?

Please include a picture of the guppies, and a list of their tank mates, and water conditions. :)
I have 2 cories, a male platy, a male molly. 4 tetras, a blue gourami, and the one guppy. Just did a ph level test again and it's within the normal parameters

I'm trying to upload pics but not much success! I have the one male guppy. I did have 2 but lost one shortly after bringing them home from Petco

Well, right away I have noticed some things. The first thing is that salt is not necessary in a freshwater tank unless you are treating the fish. Salt should also not be used in a tank with scaleless fish such as cories.
The second thing is that your stocking is not exactly ideal. Cories are very social fish and should be in a group of at least six.
Guppies, platies, and mollies should also be in groups of at least 5-6 to be happy.
Tetras should really be in a group of at least six, but one less is not a huge deal in my experience. They probably would be happier if they had more to school with though. Also, what kind of tetras do you have? Depending on the species, they may be too agressive for the other fish in your tank.
I would suggest changing your stocking and stop the salt doses and see if it helps.
Good luck!

Well, right away I have noticed some things. The first thing is that salt is not necessary in a freshwater tank unless you are treating the fish. Salt should also not be used in a tank with scaleless fish such as cories.
The second thing is that your stocking is not exactly ideal. Cories are very social fish and should be in a group of at least six.
Guppies, platies, and mollies should also be in groups of at least 5-6 to be happy.
Tetras should really be in a group of at least six, but one less is not a huge deal in my experience. They probably would be happier if they had more to school with though. Also, what kind of tetras do you have? Depending on the species, they may be too agressive for the other fish in your tank.
I would suggest changing your stocking and stop the salt doses and see if it helps.
Good luck!
Thank you! I have the neon tetras and black tetras

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Livebearers like guppies, platies, swordtails and mollies are fine with salt. If they started acting weird after doing a water change, there might be something in the new water that is causing problems.
Did you dechlorinate the new water before you added it to the tank?
All new water should be free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You can add some Activate Carbon or Highly Activated Carbon to the filter. If there is any chemicals in the water, the carbon should remove it. Remove the carbon after a week.

--------------------------
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

--------------------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Livebearers need water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm, (250ppm for mollies).
The other fishes you have come from soft water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 150ppm.
If the GH is too soft, the livebearers will have issues. If the GH is too hard, the other fishes can have issues.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back