Hello Everyone! - I'm New

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Most LFS will tell you a 10 gallon is big enough for a bala shark if they could get a sale out of it. They're not usually the most reliable source of information. You're better checking a site like this for species research http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-maculatus/

To be honest I am surprised that nobody else has spoken up because usually I will quote 60L as minimum for platies and at least two people will say no, even that's too small for platies! But your heart seems already set.

You can make a decision about whether the females need a break from the male after you've observed his behaviour for a while. If he constantly hassles the females and they seem stressed then you can consider separating them, although this won't stop the females from producing babies until they run out of sperm stores.

I don't understand how 10cm makes a huge difference? I have been looking for 15gallon tanks but theyre all expensive. also the place im getting my tank comes With almost everything i need, only for £60 as well.... So its kind of hard finding the same deal with a bigger tank. Also the stand its going on is 50cm.. so i'd have to get a taller aquarium but i cant find any... 

The difference is between keeping fish or keeping happy fish. It's up to you. If I had a 10 gallon I would keep guppies or endlers, or possibly just male platies. the females would really be happier with a bit more space.

well i am buying a bigger tank what was going to be for the fry, imnot sure how much it holds though 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back