have my tank matured?

Fuzzy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have been told to mature my tank for a month. Does that mean to get the bacteria and ammonia ph levels and things like that going. How do i go about doing this. Ive been told it doesnt haft to take a month. is this true? PLZ help me. :blink:

if you leave it a month, then you will be sure that the nitrites and ammonia have gone and also that the tank has settled down.

You can add something to jump start the cycle. LR is a common thing to use. It already has the bacteria on it and will quickly start the colony for you. PLEASE, don't let your LFS talk you into cycling with fish (some still do that). Even the toughest of the tough like damsels have a hard time and it's cruel IMO.

Ive been told it doesnt haft to take a month. is this true?

I've had it take 2 weeks and I've had it take months. It's variable really. I generally feel really safe with my tanks after 2 months (if all levels have been routinely appropriate). After 2 months I don't experience any unexpected spikes.

The only way you'll know for sure is testing the water. :nod:

lots of live rock! 1 to 2 lbs per gallon that will help speed up the process.let that set up for about 2 weeks then add your critters (hermet crabs, turbo snails) things like that go 2 more weeks and then you can add somethig hardy like damsles. they are a great starter fish and very colorfull. be sure to test your water before adding anything new!! test often with a new tank. be sure your salt level is perfect too that is important. you need a good hydrometer!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back