Has Anyone Used Levamisole Or Levacide

rust81

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has used the above to treat Camellanus, and if so, what the results were like?

I have used Levamisole Hydrochloride (aka Nilverm) to treat camallanus in heaps of different fish and it works great. Within 30 minutes of the drug being in the water I could see worms being expelled from fish that didnā€™t even show signs of being infested. I have used it on scaleless fishes and normal fish without any problems. Just do a water change 24hours after treating the tank. If you donā€™t do a water change small fish like neons and threadfin rainbows get a bit freaky and panicky.
Re-treat the tank a week later followed by another water change.
Donā€™t use it too often because worms can quickly develop a resistance to it. I normally treat the main tank initially and then only treat new fish in a quarantine tank before they go into the main tanks.
Remove any carbon before treating.

Hi Colin_T, can you remember what dosage you used to treat your tanks. I have seen conflicting dosage amounts on the internet and now i am confused. I dosed my 130L with 60ml of 3% levacide - which works out at 1.8ml of pure levacide. It has now been 48hrs since i first dosed. This time yesterday i did an 80% water change but still some signs of worms on the angels. Also most of my fish arent eating. Is tis what you expereinced? Any ideas?

Levamisole is available in different concentrations. This is because it is used as a general wormer for all sorts of livestock. The one for chickens has a much lower dosage than the one for sheep, and the one for cattle has the highest concentration of active ingredient.

My fish didn't show any change in behaviour. They kept feeding normally and did everything just as they always had. Except poop out lots of worms.

The one I last used has 32g/litre of Levamisole Hydrochloride, and I used 2.5ml of that per 5litres of tank water.

The dose you used is similar to the amount I use and should have cleared out all the worms within a day. Depending on how old the stuff was it might have started to break down. It doesn't last long in a warm environment and if it has been kept in a shed or somewhere hot it might not be working properly.

The solution i have is for livestock and therefore contains dosage amounts for cattle etc..., but it is still 3% drench. I have a lot of smaller fish in my tank - guppies, danios and tetras, as well as angels and bristlenose. I am worried that i have used too much and that this has knocked their appetite out.

This stuff is definitely in date and was ordered in by the vet as they didnt have any so it should still be ok. What do you think i should do?

The cattle one I had years ago was about 8%. Realistically tho if you did overdose it should have killed all the worms and the angels should not be showing any more signs of them.
Also the big water change you did the other day should have diluted it quite considerably. Perhaps do a 50% water change today and tomorrow and see if that helps.
Small fish are more prone to suffering from overdose than bigger ones. And it is preferable to do a water change 24 hours after treating rather than leaving it for 48hours. A few more water changes should make a difference and if it doesn't, try offering the fish some live brineshrimp. They won't starve tho because fish only need food to swim and grow. Unlike mammals that use most of the food they eat to keep warm.

Most reactions

trending

Back