Hardest Fish To Breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ncguppy830

Male
Reaction score
What is the hardest fish to breed in your guys opinion?  Id love and try to add some more fish to my breeding resume (currently pocilidae and black skirt tetras
nugget.gif
) so tell me what you think.

Quiet a few fish either don't breed in captivity or do it very very rarely. Sometimes farms use hormones to induce spawning. Often with fish cost is relative to breeding, raising difficulty, or rarity.

Denison barbs would definitely be a challenge. There are always zebra plecos too... doubt they are the hardest but they have are certainly difficult and have high demand.

thanks for the input. As for the zebras i think TTA explained pretty well in chat how to breed them.

Want a challenge- Altum angels. I breed zebras and not in my wildest dreams do I think I could spawn Altums. And I could be coached by people who know how.

But what really matters is why you want to spawn things. If it is to see it happen, then I can suggest one list. If its for profit, that is another list entirely. But for the really challenging things it will take some good water chemistry knowledge and control. As a rule the minimum number of devoted tanks needed per species is two and it can be more.

id say i want to spawn fish them  to see what happens, i also have multiple tanks for that matter. Thanks for the suggestion.

Freshwater stingrays I don't know if they have been bred in aquariums. maybe but it is not easy.  

gosh i havent even seen  a stingray before, how about red tailed sharks?

red eyed red tailed puffers are apparently a good challenge

Try mbu puffers. You need a heck of a large tank to house a pair.
Stingrays have been bred in ponds. Seen them from breeders here.

I think the hardest fish to breed are gobies.

LOL @ mbu puffers, I can't imagine what it looks like for two 24" puffers to mate, must be a scene....

All but the dwarf puffers (which are still difficult), they are apparently one of the few that when you buy them you usually are receiving tank bred.  Most other puffers are EXTREMELY rare to have breed in captivity.

ech0o said:
LOL @ mbu puffers, I can't imagine what it looks like for two 24" puffers to mate, must be a scene....

All but the dwarf puffers (which are still difficult), they are apparently one of the few that when you buy them you usually are receiving tank bred.  Most other puffers are EXTREMELY rare to have breed in captivity.
hmm interesting, although im not the biggest fan of puffers and it seems they would be hard to get rid of.

Convicts or guppies are incredibly difficult to breed
tongue2.gif

wrightt3 said:
Convicts or guppies are incredibly difficult to breed
tongue2.gif
oh im sure :p . convicts seem cool though, i know there prolific, im intureged.

Clown Loaches are on the list 
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back